• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Fabulous, these will keep me occupied for awhile. Must get my glasses on, can’t wait. Thank you Harry. .
Jeannette Macdonald? Mr Linnels class 1965? I'm standing next to Leslie Randall. Wendy Stevens. I left in July 1965 for South Australia. I never heard from Gillian Brown again who was my best friend at the time. I've been in touch with Mr Linnel who went to Sydney. What did you finish up doing? I didn't make any close school friends in Australia. Not like the ones I left behind.

Last edited:
Hi Wendy, nice to have your reply. I do remember you and I remember you being Gill’s friend. Due to family circumstances I left school at 15 instead of taking the exams and staying on another year. It would be great to have a catch up with you (well a long catch up of 53 years:)), how can I contact you via email or how can I give you my email address?

I have had a great time looking through these 1965 school photos, still studying them. I am in the forth photo down, top row, 5th along from the right (looking moody:)), Lesley Randall is 3rd along from me to the right and Alan Glover is sitting in the 2nd row, 5th along from the right. I have seen a couple of other faces I remember and most of the teachers I remember. It’s as though I only saw them yesterday and yet it has been about 53 years.
Yes I am Jeannette McDonald, forgot to say.
Fantastic. Great to hear from you. Apparently we can't put contact details on this forum. I'm on Facebook. Wendy Burman. I live in Ardrossan South Australia.

Fantastic. Great to hear from you. Apparently we can't put contact details on this forum. I'm on Facebook. Wendy Burman. I live in Ardrossan South Australia.

You can put contact details on here, it’s just not advisable. This is a public forum and there are internet bots that look for email addresses to harvest data. It leads to spam mail, identity theft etc.

Use the private message facility if you wish to contact each other.

You can put contact details on here, it’s just not advisable. This is a public forum and there are internet bots that look for email addresses to harvest data. It leads to spam mail, identity theft etc.

Use the private message facility if you wish to contact each other.
Thankyou, have done that now. Appreciate your advice.

Recognise anyone?
Sorry, Harry, been away from the forum and have just now seen your fantastic school photo. Yes, I recognise many people here. I'm top row forth from the left (I think). I also think that's the fearsome Miss or Mrs Baker, the needlework teacher on the far right, dark hair and glasses. The times I tried to stay at home with a sickie because of her....Can't remember the RI teacher's name, but he's three in from her. Then there's the lovely Miss Edwards who taught us Shorthand/Typing next to Cauldicott etc. etc. Thanks so much for uploading this.

Mary

Last edited:
May be wrong but the name Mr Francis seems to ring a bell for the RI Teacher.
Hi Jeannette, don't think so, I think Mr Francis is the fat bloke! You know, I don't think that is me......I think I'm 11th in from the top right, next to Andrew Hough - long hair with a flick and fringe.

Hello Mary, are you standing next to a tall chap? Think I have placed you. Yes you are right about Mr Francis, what did he teach? Funny seeing Mr McShane, he looks so much older on the photograph than what I remember.

Hello Mary, are you standing next to a tall chap? Think I have placed you. Yes you are right about Mr Francis, what did he teach? Funny seeing Mr McShane, he looks so much older on the photograph than what I remember.
Mr Jefferson, yes Harry, that's him. Yes Jeannette that's me, I think the tall guy was a Graham Hick but might be wrong about that. No idea what Mr Francis taught, maybe he didn't teach me. I see Mr Reece is there - he didn't teach me but taught my brother in Inter. He used to throw the board rubber at the lads' heads.....

School Play 4th of March 1967 HMS Pinafore

Attachments

• hms pinafore.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • HMS Pinafore 2.pdf
    951.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HMS Pinafore 3.pdf
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 15
  • HMS pinafore 4.pdf
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi MARYD is that the same Mr EDGE who was at ALDRIDGE RD as assistant head of the boys school,if it was my first meeting with him was rather painful .i had just gone into the senior school 2nd day and he caught me running IN the school .(which was forbidden)after quite a long lecture on the dangers of running indoors because of all the glass windows of the classrooms, after he gave me the cane (to help me remember)he asked me my name when I told him he replied have you got a sister who attends my evening English class ? I said yes ,he replied mmm bright girl youve got a lot to live up to my lad .Igot on with him o.k after that cheers
33bus tom
[/QUOTE
Hi thanks for the replies. I don't think Mr Edge was at Aldridge, at least I was at Perry Beeches 1962-67 and he was there all that time. Carrot haired, red faced, and a caliper on his leg as I remember. Didn't like him much. I was in classes 1A,2A,3A, and 4 something or other.

Mr Evans I remember fondly, one of the several Welsh teachers there for some reason- Miss Lloyd Music, Mr Jones Physics. But my particular favourite was Scottish, my English teacher Mr P J McShane. He was brilliant and very fair, always wore a chocolate brown 3 piece suit and looked ancient, but probably only in his late 50's. I hope he knew what a good teacher he was.

Years later I met a teacher from after my time and she said it was well known as being one of the worst schools in Birmingham at the time.
Regards
Maryd

Hi thanks for the replies. I don't think Mr Edge was at Aldridge, at least I was at Perry Beeches 1962-67 and he was there all that time. Carrot haired, red faced, and a caliper on his leg as I remember. Didn't like him much. I was in classes 1A,2A,3A, and 4 something or other.

Mr Evans I remember fondly, one of the several Welsh teachers there for some reason- Miss Lloyd Music, Mr Jones Physics. But my particular favourite was Scottish, my English teacher Mr P J McShane. He was brilliant and very fair, always wore a chocolate brown 3 piece suit and looked ancient, but probably only in his late 50's. I hope he knew what a good teacher he was.

Years later I met a teacher from after my time and she said it was well known as being one of the worst schools in Birmingham at the time.
Regards
Maryd
Mary is this Mary Deadman ? If it is this Dave Davis in the same years as yourself at Beaches People I remember throughout school days are Kenny Pettit ,Martin Bennett,Colin Whitmore Charlie Gash,Alan Powell , Carol Henney,Joy Cooper, Barbara Graham, Jacqueline Taylor and many more, If you remember me would like to hear from you ..

Mary is this Mary Deadman ? If it is this Dave Davis in the same years as yourself at Beaches People I remember throughout school days are Kenny Pettit ,Martin Bennett,Colin Whitmore Charlie Gash,Alan Powell , Carol Henney,Joy Cooper, Barbara Graham, Jacqueline Taylor and many more, If you remember me would like to hear from you ..
Hello Dave. No 'fraid not. Maybe these people were in a different stream. But I do remember someone in the corridor yelling the name David Davis out, but I don't know why!

hi. i also went to perry beeches late 60's early 70's when mr edge was head. i always found him fair but sometimes a bit weired. i can remember if it was a nice sunny day he often would not sound the bell after lunch and would continue playing cards outside with other members of staff. my favourites were mr caldicott, mr mcshane, mr hall,mr newall,and mr varty. i really enjoyed my time there even when in my final year mr edge retired and we got another old time head mr harper.

MR H EDGE, MR A CALDICOTT, MRS M LLOYD {LATER EVERY },MR G NEWELL, MR W JONES, MR D HALL, MR W WELHAM, MRS M C-CRAWFORD, MR IANTO EVANS, MRS K BAKER.MR C BUNDOCK, MRS EDWARDS, MR R BLOXHAM, MR T SAVAGE, MR WILLIAMS, MR J VARTY, MISS E McCARNEY, MRS FINNIMORE, MR J FORD, MR P WRIGHT, MR P McShane, MR M JEFFERSON, MISS MAYNARD { later to be mrs Jefferson } MR HUNT.

I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OTHER TEACHERS, BUT THEY WERE THE MAIN ONES. {1967-73 }

THE GOOD OLD DAY'S.

MR H EDGE, MR A CALDICOTT, MRS M LLOYD {LATER EVERY },MR G NEWELL, MR W JONES, MR D HALL, MR W WELHAM, MRS M C-CRAWFORD, MR IANTO EVANS, MRS K BAKER.MR C BUNDOCK, MRS EDWARDS, MR R BLOXHAM, MR T SAVAGE, MR WILLIAMS, MR J VARTY, MISS E McCARNEY, MRS FINNIMORE, MR J FORD, MR P WRIGHT, MR P McShane, MR M JEFFERSON, MISS MAYNARD { later to be mrs Jefferson } MR HUNT.

I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OTHER TEACHERS, BUT THEY WERE THE MAIN ONES. {1967-73 }

THE GOOD OLD DAY'S.
Miss Lloyd was our class teacher. Great operatic voice and sung at the Town hall with some of our class, I was one of the lucky ones. It was a bit of a shock to find her sitting on her desk with Edge both smoking, she used a cigarette holder which seemed rather exotic at the time.

We will have them all named soon:). Love these photos Harry.
Hi Jeannette, Mary and Wendy. I was in your classes from Nov 62 to 66 in classes 1A, 2A, 3A and 4EC Mr Caldicott. I left in the summer of 66 leaving you all to take your exams. My name has not been mentioned yet but I played football all through with Les, Alan and others but we three were chosen for a trial with the Aston Villa boys youth team. On the last set of school photos I’m the Blond one standing at the back sixth in from the right next to, I think, clever Cecelia Pitt. Oh and my name is David.

I seem to have missed the notification of Clifford's passing. That's strange, and sad news indeed.

Hi Blondie (David). Would your surname be the opposite of NEW then - or am I wrong?
Mary (Sorry, took so long to appear, I pressed the post reply button again - duh!)

I seem to have missed the notification of Clifford's passing. That's strange, and sad news indeed.

Hi Blondie (David). Would your surname be the opposite of NEW then - or am I wrong?
Mary (Sorry, took so long to appear, I pressed the post reply button again - duh!)

Yes, well remembered. David Olds. I’ve just found this thread and love it. Great. It was a great school, although I was nervous of doing anything wrong and being brought up to the very scary Mr Edge. Hi Jeannette and of course Wendy.

Back