• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Yes......I remember Mr Evans. He once lit a peice of paper illustrating that you couldnt destroy anything in the universe.(only change its form)..
As a Christmas treat the whole year packed into his science room where we watched the film The Vikings with Kirk Douglas on a reel to reel projector..

Yes...that nice uniform of Yellow/Green/Black......Would be nice to turn back the clock!

Oh yes, I remember watching "The Vikings". Fabulous choice of film for us. "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" another year - somebody must have liked Kirk Douglas!

As I remember, there was absolutely no sex education - but I do remember dissecting an earthworm!

Yes Mary you are quite correct......But i did learn that earthworms reproduce themselves......(Not much use if youre being dissected though!)

I think i recall health and something lessons though.....

Mr Newell was OK, but I do remember him leading the whole class in laughing at Tony Venables, when he (quite rightly) said that B.S.C. stood for British Sugar Corporation - when Mr Newell was looking for B.Sc. - Batchelor of Science.

I think he did the same to me once as well, but luckily I've forgotten why...! Not great practice for a teacher.

Mr Newell was OK, but I do remember him leading the whole class in laughing at Tony Venables, when he (quite rightly) said that B.S.C. stood for British Sugar Corporation - when Mr Newell was looking for B.Sc. - Batchelor of Science.

I think he did the same to me once as well, but luckily I've forgotten why...! Not great practice for a teacher.

Amazing how these memories stay with us......
Mr Newell anounced to the class that i was not the type he wanted in his class because i,d come 33rd out of 34.
(Sure did a lot for ones self esteem and confidence which at 12 i lacked)
Mr Ford..Woodwork also demonstrated my coat rack announcing to the class the gaps in the ill fitting joints were where the flies hid in winter......
Were we not all just Bricks in the Wall?

Didn't go to Beeches but all my mates did and my brothers who went to the comp. Went with mates on a beeches holiday on the norfolk broads and think my brother went to Rimini.

Don't worry, I distinctly remember being 35th out of 38 one year, but top in General Knowledge, and 2nd or 3rd in English, maybe I should have been a journalist...mmm don't think so.

Finished in the second year in July 1959 started in the 4th year Sept 1959, little wonder I ended up in Miss Lloyds class. Hated by Edge as he thought I was thick, most of the teachers only wanted to teach the bright children and had no time for the slower pupils. Just pleased that I ended my working career in 1996 as a Manager for Shell UK.

Looking for Family Rice!!!! Perry Common
Hi,
I have been searching for months, trying to find some of our relatives.
If anyone knows the Rice Family's Living in.
Dulwich Road Kingstanding.
Dovedale Road Perry Common.
Abbeyfield Road Perry Common.
Court Farm Road Short Heath.
Winterley Lane Nr Walsall.
I would be eternally gratefull.
We have relatives coming from Australia, and would love to arrange a family gathering.
With thanks. Eileen :)

Well done, Nickcc - I assume you went on to college - or did you work your way up?

Eileen, I've looked on the BT site and can't find Rice at these addresses. Sorry. Maybe someone else knows someone who knows someone
Good luck
Maryd

Hello Maryd

Bit of both, Handsworth Tech, in house training and being in the right place at the right time. I remember the time when Shell employed University whizz kids in operational positions, most lasted about six months due to delusions of grandeur.

Best wishes
Nick

Hi Nick, I don't understand the 2nd year and 4th year in so short a time - did they miscalculate your age or something????
Regards
Maryd

Hello Maryd

Yes I missed the 3rd year as I was born on the 2nd of September and started school a year late. By the time the end of the 2nd year came I was becoming rather expensive for my Single parent Mother to have to support (my father left my Sister and i when I was six months old) so I started work when I was 14 in June 1960. Luckily I worked for a very caring boss who paid me out of the petty cash until I was old enough to work there officially in the September.

Regards
Nick

Greetings from Canada, I seem to remember being spanked on the back of my legs by this evel Mr Edge just for talking to a young lady in class, I wish I could find him now and give his some of his own punishment, I never forgot that day in front of the whole class, I remember it very well, I think he was the most evel teacher I have ever met, I hope he got what was coming to him in the end, not a happy time at Beeches Road.

A Mr Edge later became Head of another Kinstanding school Kingsland and am wondering if he would be the same person?. Jean.

Would anyone known my cousins Jean in her late 70s Ken mid 70s Roger 60+ they must have gone to Perry Beeches as they lived just opposite, in Chelmorton Road 1945 -1970s

Never ever asked what school they went to and I met them all in the last 20 years. Buckley is their name

Last edited:
I seem to remember being spanked on the back of my legs by this evel Mr Edge
Here is a pic of a smiling Mr Edge before he became Head of Perry Beeches. I've took it from a group photo I posted here

Most of the schoolboys in the main photo went to Beeches Rd School.
I wouldn't say Mr Edge was evil but he did leave his mark on me...
Mr_Edge.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jean,
No I never had the cane there, but I can remember having blue bruised fingers. One teacher (forgot his name) had very bad eyesight and missed the hands and hit many boys on the wrist. Come to think of it I can't ever remember girls being caned !!
Phil

Back