• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Hi @Astoness, thanks for the reply and update. I am just trying to work out the exact years I was at PB but that isn't easy as burglars trashed my Mother's house yrs ago and trashed many of her belongings. I have also lost touch with all my school chums as I moved away.

Looks like I was there from 1963 -1967/8, so currently reading through the posts from people there at the same/similar time. Definitely remember performing in HMS Pinafore, as a lowly policeman I think... my lot was not a happy one .
I do recall keeping bees but I can't remember the teacher who was in charge of that and also being in an aeromodelling group where we made, flew and wrecked model aeroplanes... I still have some paintings from the art classes.... and I recall carving figures out of blocks of carbolic soap...really tricky.
Reading the posts brings back memories of chemistry experiments (kids not allowed to do that these days). Then going down to Giddens the chemist to buy sulphur and saltpetre at the end of Turnberry Rd. Not for making fireworks of course .... how ever did we get away with it....but was hauled in front of Edge with my mother and given a dressing down for having a burn on my arm that he said must have come from acid... he hadn't a clue and my mother was quite worried by him. Also remember setting up a prank with Ianto Evans in science, forming a human chain from the van de Graf generator to the brass door knob and hearing him swear as he received the shock when he went to open the door to come in to class, and we ran to our desks. He had the last laugh though and called me out and just touched my elbow which gave me a large static belt and brought a smile to his face. Never quite figured out how he knew it was me...maybe my hair was standing up? Great teacher, one of the best in the school and I am sure my scientific interests were sparked from his classes (pun intended ). Not the best school in the world but many good memories as well as some not so good. Anyone remember who taught technical drawing around 1967? Was there a teacher called Bloxwich or is my memory playing tricks?

Last edited:
Hi,
My name is Alan Chipman and have just found this site. Recognise alot of the names! I was at PB around 63 to 67. Just wondered if anyone remembers me??

Hi,
My name is Alan Chipman and have just found this site. Recognise alot of the names! I was at PB around 63 to 67. Just wondered if anyone remembers me??
Which classes were you in? I was Wendy Stevens then. I was in 3A 1965 before leaving for Australia. Mr Linnell.

I was in Mr McShanes class for English. I think he was our home teacher 2A. 1964-65
To be honest Wendy I'm still trying to remember the class number. I remember bieng in Queslett and playing football in the house team with Michael Oliban.

Hi,
Hi Alan I was at PB I joined in 69 but you may have Known my brother Clifford Commander or my cousin Linda Salt.
Some of my brothers friend Peter Espin Roy Lambert

Hello Roy,
No that name doesn't ring any bells but I seem to recall Linda Salt. It's been along time but I enjoyed my time at the school. I travelled from Erdington every day but moved to Castle Vale Comp in 65ish. (Not 67) I recall all the teachers especially Mr Edge and Mr Caldicot. I think Mr Pritchard was geography teacher.

Back