• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Barr Home Guard: Warwickshire Regiment.

nick nicholls

Brummie babby
Does anyone have photos of the Perry Barr contingent please? My dad was a member and he lived at 36, Wilnecote Grove, Perry Barr. He was good pals with a Mr Rookes (also a member) and was I with his son Geoffrey. Thanks, Brian Nicholls. (son, now aged 75).

There are photos and mentions of Perry Barr HG in this thread:

There are photos and mentions of Perry Barr HG in this thread:

Thanks Alan, very much appreciated. the man with the glasses centre-front 'looks' very, very much like my dad but, I can't be absolutely sure. Anyway, thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. Warmest Regards, Brian Nicholls.

The detailed story of this Battalion - one of two which consisted entirely of City Transport employees, the 31st and 32nd Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalions - is online. (I don't like regularly putting links to my own website on the Forum but, for the convenience of anyone interested, this is the best starting point: It's safe!)

I think that this A.C. Baker would almost certainly have held a senior position in that Department.

Here is an image of the scene a few minutes earlier as Lord Bridgeman is welcomed by Messrs. Piggott and Baker.

(Being pedantic, therefore not specifically the Perry Barr Home Guard, but a city wide unit).

Chris

31st32ndWarks019.jpg

Lt.-Col. A. C. Baker

A Great War veteran. He served in the RAF. (IF he were aircrew, and it is an "if" of course, it's surprising he didn't display his wings. Most HG officers with a RFC/RAF background did).

Chris

ACBaker.jpg

For those who do not remember A.C. Baker this will give details of his name on Birmingham's trams and buses from 1928 until 1950. He was succeeded by Wilfred Harry Smith.
1643116340483.png

Back