• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Barr Estate

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Some time ago I remember a thread (but can't now find it) asking for the name of the estate bounded by College, Kingstanding and Hawthorn Roads. Here's a 1935 advert for newly built houses on that estate. It calls it the Perry Barr Estate. For less than £600 you could bag yourself a new house with freehold and for only £25 deposit (but still a sizeable sum in the 1930s of course). The builder was just a stones throw away too, so doubtless any initial, structural problems could be quickly sorted! I've had a look on Streetview and there are several houses like this - but not many - in amongst a mixture of other 1930s style of housing. All suggests a well thought out estate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389090426.179548.jpg

Wow, that's interesting, you can't believe the prices but I suppose it was quite a lot of money in those days.
I'm surprised it was called the Perry Barr Estate - it's not really Perry Barr there is it?

Our family home not far from the above in Dewsbury grove cost about the same just before the war, as far as I know it was used as the show home before my parents bought it, the only difference being the size of the bathroom.

Wow, that's interesting, you can't believe the prices but I suppose it was quite a lot of money in those days.
I'm surprised it was called the Perry Barr Estate - it's not really Perry Barr there is it?
I suppose as it's next door to Perry Barr park it would still be classed as Perry Barr.

I suppose as it's next door to Perry Barr park it would still be classed as Perry Barr.

It's not right next to Perry Barr park though. I looked up Warren Hill Road on Google maps and it's quite a bit further up, by the Jewish cemetery off College Road, in the area I knew as Kingstanding.

Nearer to Brookvale Park than Perry Barr Park.

Yes Warren Hill Road was off Hawthorn Road, my Mother's sister lived there, spent a large part of my childhood with my cousins. In fact learnt to ride my bike in Warren Hill Road. They were nice houses, typical semis of that era, early 1940's.
This forum has a happy knack of bringing back memories from the past. There was a tennis club we used to go to round about, I wonder if anyone remembers it.

Think the use of Perry Barr for this triangle of land might go back to the Goughs - and they too had many disputes over boundaries. My grandparents lived on College Road and always described it as Perry Barr. I expect to call it Perry Barr at that time would have given it status and identified it closely with the manor, Perry Hall. Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389215016.212717.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389215016.212717.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 16
I lived in Wrekin Road, backing onto the Jewish cemetery. This area was an Erdington address. Also living next door to me was a family named Byrne. The lady of the house was the daughter of a builder who built our houses. I do not know if he built the whole area. (I doubt it). Her house was a wedding present from her father.
I have a faint memory that the name Byrne was from a second marriage but I cannot be sure.

Back