• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Barr - Christ Church

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1916. It stood somewhere under and behind the flyover that we see today.

Ian.

Wondered whether these views would be posted....:)
I remember seeing Christ Church looking similar to that - not so far back as in the postcard !
I used to catch a 188 Midland Red bus in the 1950's on a piece of waste land on the left side of the Walsall Rd. The queues for the buses were enormous.
oldmohawk

The church ended up as a timber-yard prior to the construction of the Perry Barr Flyover in the early 1960's.

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee,
Yes I remember the timber yard - I think it was called Ansells.
I also remember the opening of the Perry Barr underpass. I was at night school at Aston Technical College, and deliberately drove home that way so I could 'try' the underpass. I think it had heating under the road surface for frosty weather, but did not last long, and I think the underpass spoilt Perry Barr, except for motorists.
oldmohawk.

Ansells it was - well remembered, OM. I have a very, very vague memory of going to a wedding at Christ Church when I was a wee one.

The underpass was I think the first in Britain. I lived in The Broadway when it was being built, and we hatedit. Later, when I was a maniac, it was the place to see how fast your car would go.

Big Gee

Drifting a bit off topic but Ian's posts get the old memories going....:)
I took my motor bike driving test from an office in the Broadway. I always remember the 'emergency stop' - the examiner jumped out of a front garden with a card in his hand - lucky for him I stopped.
A few year's later I took my car driving test from the same office, and spent most of the test stuck in a traffic jam near Witton Island.
oldmohawk:)

Back