• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Barr canal tip

The Midland Canal Centre are boat builders and also sell boats, the company was formed in 1986. Stenson in is south Derbyshire. As the boat carries the company name I believe it would be one they use to attend events on canals in order to promote their business.
There is a much older boat, built 1928, at the Black Country Museum which carries the same name.

This aerial view dated 1947 shows the area continuing from top left of the view in post#3.
Thornbridge Avenue runs from the top left corner to the Aldridge Road and Greenholm Road in the top right corner.
A large ash tip is top right. The Tame Valley canal runs from lower right towards the bridge on the Aldridge Rd and the lock near the bridge is visible. I have colour shaded the canal for identification. The Boars Head Pub bottom in the view.
Out of view to the left was another large ash tip between the canal and Thornbridge Avenue.
click the pic and then zoom on it.
AldridgeRd1947.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mohawk that is the best picture i have seen of that part, The bottom left was some sort of hall for adults can not remember what was written on doors,same side single gate into park then two houses one had a orchard behind next house grew vegetables and sold them on side of house and toffee apples,then allotments, those houses where turned into care home i believe some of the building is still their and property still same family,On the right is blakeland estate i believe it was built in the forties ,The lock is the second lock their is a drop of about ten feet;Their was a big gap after houses to bridge later two modern houses built their; was dangerous the slope down to canal, when we moved into farm their was no path on bridge you had to jump into gaps it used to freeze over in winter they rebuilt it and put a path on both sides,the double road past bridge on right all belonged to to frank cadwalladers and sons shopfitters all top of their trades even as a lad i could see the quality of the workmanship loved the smell of the polishing shop,their was two gates at end my dad when we moved their job was to sell wood and lots of bags of fire wood that did not last he was a labourer and a good bricklayer so their was plenty of work for him on jobs'After those gates the road was a single dirt road up to houses on left ,the path we walked five days a week to maryvale school and cardinal wiseman,the side of path had a six foot wire fence and two big gates all that ground was covered in ash,Those houses i do not reconize. The houses that are their now are the ones that i remember. blakeland farm is now a care home . sorry for going on i described it as i would walk up it. You can see the house in the trees how that can hide i do not know it is three storey high you could play football in every room very same design and size as booths farm, all done martin

We used to swim in that canal...not very healthy I suppose but in those days it didn't seem to matter. It was quite common to see a dead dog floating in there from time to time.
Dave A

Hi mohawk that is the best picture i have seen of that part, The bottom left was some sort of hall for adults can not remember what was written on doors,same side single gate into park then two houses one had a orchard behind next house grew vegetables and sold them on side of house and toffee apples,then allotments, those houses where turned into care home i believe some of the building is still their and property still same family,On the right is blakeland estate i believe it was built in the forties ,The lock is the second lock their is a drop of about ten feet;Their was a big gap after houses to bridge later two modern houses built their; was dangerous the slope down to canal, when we moved into farm their was no path on bridge you had to jump into gaps it used to freeze over in winter they rebuilt it and put a path on both sides,the double road past bridge on right all belonged to to frank cadwalladers and sons shopfitters all top of their trades even as a lad i could see the quality of the workmanship loved the smell of the polishing shop,their was two gates at end my dad when we moved their job was to sell wood and lots of bags of fire wood that did not last he was a labourer and a good bricklayer so their was plenty of work for him on jobs'After those gates the road was a single dirt road up to houses on left ,the path we walked five days a week to maryvale school and cardinal wiseman,the side of path had a six foot wire fence and two big gates all that ground was covered in ash,Those houses i do not reconize. The houses that are their now are the ones that i remember. blakeland farm is now a care home . sorry for going on i described it as i would walk up it. You can see the house in the trees how that can hide i do not know it is three storey high you could play football in every room very same design and size as booths farm, all done martin
I think the building in Perry Barr Park might have been known as 'Sons of Rest' but I might be wrong.
If you have not already seen them you might be interested in the following threads

Hi young kids did drowned in canal by bridge when water low to hard to get out,very sad i never for got. i think your right the sign on doors was foreign to me their was a single door on the park side. public toilets next door.if you have not answered questions on other thread.built houses on booths farm house remains behind perry beeches school,aldridge road between boars head and perry park.I read some thing the other day about when booth was arrested forgery the police went into boars head before going 500 yds to farm. Boars head perry barr booths farm great barr over a mile apart more likely drakes drum not sure if the beeches was their then. It would be intresting to know when that big house was built on booths farm he was hung in 1812 booths farm and blakeland farm was same design fodens owned both farms at one time.martin

Hi these are a few bits i had henry bramwell still owned land in 1945 so it could have been him that sold it to cadwalladers the fodens owned both farms as other picture on site shows 1899 but fodens lived their a long time before that a big family owned a lot of land,martin

Attachments

• img117.jpg
    img117.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 18
  • img116.jpg
    img116.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 12
  • img115.jpg
    img115.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 11
Jan 1932... Birmingham Corporation propose to take 2.5 acres of land belonging to Lawrence Bros of Blakeland Farm for road widening purchases.

Hi thanks for information any information appreciated,the lawrence family owned or rented a few farms round there not sure where they widened,thanks martin.

Hi thought about corporation taking 2.5 acres of land only place that would make since is blakeland road thats the only part that was level with farm gardens all backed onto farm, drive level to back of factory then hill. Other side nearly level with roof then hill behind at least twelve feet higher where they have built lots of houses,martin

Attachments

• img120.jpg
    img120.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Hi thanks for maps canal was only forty years old on first picture do you know what the thick black mark is between blakeland farm and aldridge road their was still a well their when we lived their,boat yard and brewery is new to me .Boat yard their makes since brewery also church road center of perry barr .church tavern and boars head were there they were used as mortuaries so you could get spirits in the back aswell as front also as court boars head.Thanks martin
Second map seems to show no blakeland road so it is possible not built till 1932. Thanks martin.

Hi sorry looked again when awake thick black mark is house and out buildings they turned out buildings into offices,The house has building recessed into house i thought they built that for us living area and kitchen they used bottom of house for storage, was built later than house only picture we have.The second picture i think says allotment garden i think that is witton cemetry.martin

Attachments

• img125.jpg
    img125.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Back