• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Army Huts after WW2

Just out of interest if anyone was born in either of the parks and delivered by a Midwife it was most likely Nurse Edith Iveson who was a wonderful woman and part of my family who lived in Dewsbury Grove off Perry Avenue.

Just out of interest if anyone was born in either of the parks and delivered by a Midwife it was most likely Nurse Edith Iveson who was a wonderful woman and part of my family who lived in Dewsbury Grove off Perry Avenue.
I was born in a house on the Walsall Road between the two parks but I only remember Mom speaking of Dr McConnell being present.

We had DR’s Calderwood and McConnel from near Scotts Arms. Everyone feared Dr Calderwood and did their best to wait for Dr McConnel.

We had DR’s Calderwood and McConnel from near Scotts Arms. Everyone feared Dr Calderwood and did their best to wait for Dr McConnel.
Yes, he was a bit scary at times, he had a booming voice!
However, when my maternal grandfather was very ill with TB back in the 40's he used to call in and sit with him for a chat - you wouldn't get that today!
My Nan liked him very much and he always remembered her even though she moved out of Brum in the early 50's.

Dr McConnell was my doctor until he moved out - to Derby I think?

I remember living in an army hut on Lucas Sports Ground. I don’t know how we came to be there but I expect my mother didn’t like living with her sister in law in Hall Green. As far as I remember each family had its own hut, nothing communal, except for the children playing together! I went to the nursery school in Greenway(?) Road. 5F73ADF5-5A35-4E7D-83B6-8A950F31FF64.jpeg45AFDFC26-6D99-435C-A6B2-94991ED79A39.jpeg
I am the girl front row right in the picture taken in front of the huts. My brother is middle front of other photo. Hope this is I’d some interest.

I remember living in an army hut on Lucas Sports Ground. I don’t know how we came to be there but I expect my mother didn’t like living with her sister in law in Hall Green. As far as I remember each family had its own hut, nothing communal, except for the children playing together! I went to the nursery school in Greenway(?) Road.
I am the girl front row right in the picture taken in front of the huts. My brother is middle front of other photo. Hope this is I’d some interest.
This view shows the huts in the corner of Lucas Sports field dated 1947.
Lucas sports Army Huts.jpg

This wider view shows shows the sports field bounded by the College Rd running left to right across the pic, the Tame Valley Canal on the left and Moor Lane on the right. A red arrow points at the Nursery Building.
Sportsfield Lucas.jpg

Back