• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Barr 1939

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Perry Barr 0001.jpg A pen and ink wash. the old Crown and Cushion pub on the left. I used to do my shopping here when we were newly married, in the 50's when it still looked like this.

Last edited:
That's super Di. Such a lovely touch your paintings have. Just as I remember it.
I used to come home on the train to Perry Barr and then catch the No.11 to Marsh Hill when I worked for British Railways and remember climbing the steep steps up to the street level. I had a free pass in l957 for local travel and so was always nosing around somewhere on the train.

Does anyone remember Clarke's Fruit shop across from the station?

As you say the scene was much the same in the 50s and I remember it myself well. On Saturdays my dad would take me on the 33 from Six ways and we'd go to the Saddlers Arms which was just around where the road branched off to the right past the school ( now the UCE ) I would wait outside with a Vimto and packet of crisps and then he would take me to Perry Barr Park and we'd go on the rowing boats on the pool. No motorway to spoil the tranquility then either !

Jennyann I worked for British Rail at the same time and had a free pass at Vauxhall

Di what happened to the No6 tram lines?
very good drawing, remember it well
also "Kings Cafe" by the dog track used
to take all the tea cans to be filled there.
"Dodd's" would be the shop where I bought
my tools
Remember "Toy's chemist on corner
of Wellington Rd?

Tell me was the Old Crown & Cushion the old pub or the new that is the modernr looking building or what :-\

dennis said:
Di what happened to the No6 tram lines?
very good drawing, remember it well
also "Kings Cafe" by the dog track used
to take all the tea cans to be filled there.
"Dodd's" would be the shop where I bought
my tools
Remember "Toy's chemist on corner
of Wellington Rd?

Bit of artistic licence Dennis.

Got me wondering now, Di.

There was another pub on the other side of the road, by the picture house, which I always thought was the "Old Crown & Cushion" With the one in your picture, which was much more modern looking (then!) being known just as the "Crown & Cushion"
Or was it the other way round ?   :uglystupid2:

Does not distract from your picture, which is great, and good to see the resulting collection of memories it has prevoked.

BTW I have had a few pints in both of them in the past.  O0 

You must mean the Birchfield picture house Ray. I only ever knew the one Crown and Cushion, further down the road going away from town. It lay back from the road as my drawing shows. I wish I coiuld remember what was on the other side of the road to the Birchfields. I think the road widened there - didn't it!!

Di,  I'm not sure as it's been so long ago for me, but across from the Birchfield Cinema I think there was a row of big old houses that set back from the road, and I think one of them used to be, The Enid Goodwyne Dance Studio. I never went there but I know my wife did. This would be around 1940-43.Also, as well as the Birchfield cinema there was also the Perry Bar Odeon which was set back from the road.

Hi Wally, I think Enids was further back towards the Odeon. I went there in the early 50's. I can't visualise just how far down Birchdfield Road those old houses went.

Di,
It was the Birchfield Picture House I was referring to,farther on, on the same side,nearly opposite "your" Crown & Cushion was the one I refer to which I am fairly certain was the Old Crown & Cushion.
It was a relatively small pub, sqashed in between all the shops.
You obviously were not used to going on pub crawls "like what I was"   ;D
Oh Happy (silly) Days   :uglystupid2: 

You know the saying, Can always remember going in them, but can never remember coming out!!  :2funny:

If my memory is correct opposite the Birchfield cinema was a bus garage and some shops including a cafe. The big old black and white houses started just past Trinity Church to the Odeon, two of our teachers Miss Guy and Miss Precott from Burlington Street Senior Girls' School lived in one of them.

Correct Sylvia a Bus Garage and the Cafe I used to go in there evey Saturday about 11.30am to have my Lunch on my way to my Football match having walked from The Ridgeway. Could I do it now no :2funny: but happy memories.

Thanks to the folks on the Forum its at least one a day O0

Back