• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Percy Shurmer

Here are a couple more photos of the celebrations at the Percy Shurmer School when the blue plaque was presented on June 5th 2009. Tony Hazel.JPG Blue Plaque.jpg img099.jpg

A couple more images I have found since starting this thread, the first one is another Sparrows party at the town hall sorry I don't know the date. The second one is The Birmingham Tigers and the Slough Flyers in 1951 at a local black patch that looks like Alfred Street Sparkbrook to me.

Percy's Sparrows.jpg Erdington Birmingham Tigers & Slough Flyers 1951.jpg

A couple of photos with connections to Percy Shurmer, the first on being another image of the Deritend & St Martins Girls band and another image of the Market Hall clock whilst still located at the Imperial Arcade in Dale End.

Deritend & St Martins Band.jpg Percy Shurmer Clock 3.jpg

This image of Percy was taken on the steps of Birmingham town hall in 1955 on the eve of his last election win before his death in 1959,

Percy Shurmer Wins Election 1955.jpg

My last couple of images for now, the first one shows Percy on the campaign trail, even then he didn't forget his sparrows as can be seen by the election pamphlets in one hand and the collection box in the other. The second one shows him on a visit to the Birmingham Mail & Post in 1951

Vote for Percy.jpg City New Street Percy Shurmer at the Post & Mail 1948.jpg

Last edited:
I recently came across this photo of "Percy's" clock which looks very much like it is in situ in the Market Hall. It's a pity it is not of better quality.

Parcy Shurmers Clock.jpg

Last edited:
its not that bad phil and i would agree that the great mans clock is in situ...

lyn

I've always said that I didn't think I had a photo of Percy's clock after it had been moved to the market hall except the rather poor image that I recently posted. So imagine my surprise when looking through my collection for something else I came across this one with the clock as large as life on the left of the photo. Pity it's not a better image.

City Bull Ring Market Hall Interior.JPG

My mother told me that my father, who was born in 1915 and lived in Sherlock Street , played in a team called Percy Schurmers Robins. I always assumed they turned out to play wearing red! Or had she just got confused with sparrows?

Back