• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Percy Chas. Plant & Co.

jmadone

master brummie
Whilst browsing an auction catalogue this morning I came across the following lot

Percy Chas. Plant & Co..jpg

I've searched the forum and googled the firm advertised but can find no trace of them. Would any member have any knowledge of them

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Nothing in the Birmingham newspapers either, Jim.

Also drawn a blank on the trade directories, but that is an awful search engine.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:

jmadone

master brummie
No telephone number, so not easy to identify the town. Maybe London, Felixstowe or elsewhere.
It might not be Garrison Lane in Birmingham and could even be a fake, I don't know. The auction houses are awash with repro or non genuine advertising items.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did a quick search of Kells 1888, 1896,1910, 1921, 1932 and no builder Percy Charles Plant. There was a chimney sweep and a boot repairer, though not in Garrison lane. Given the fad for all things Peaky blinder, I think it is a fake. It could , of course be a genuine propo for the series !!

Last edited:

A Sparks

master brummie
The Stepney Tyres one seems to be bona fide as per Graces Guide - I just looked as I know the area slightly.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I must admit that the Plant sign doesn't look genuine - no fixing holes, and no phone number let alone a town. Intriguiging & I would like to be proved wrong. :)

same here alan i would not buy it for fear its a fake but would also like to be proved wrong...thanks jim cant pull the wool over the keen eyes of bhf members :D

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
OK, solved. It existed alright, but in Felixstowe and some accounts are online for 1938 at internet.org. However, at some point after that, they were taken over and had a name change to Drake. Here's Drake's liquidation notice in 1980.

Plant.jpg