• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Percival Royle Peers 1874....1952

senoraruz

master brummie
Please could someone look up a coroner's report on the death of this man.
He was apparently last seen alive on 23rd Jan 1952 & found dead on the 29th Jan.
The last address I can find for him is 6 back 198 St Stephens St in 1950.
He doesn't appear to have married & as far as I can tell he was an only child. He describes himself in the 1911 census as an unattached journalist. By this I think he probably means freelance.
His will was proved in March 1952 & probate was granted to Charles Henry Dingley, solicitor & Ethel Joan Davis spinster.
I live in Spain, so can't get to the library to do the look up for myself, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Marion

His date of birth given on the 1939 eve of war register is 28th May 1875, he is single, occupation Tailors shop porter unemployed.

Have just found his birth registration though and it was registered in June quarter 1874, so perhaps the day and month is correct and he made himself a year younger??

Also his last address in 1950 on the electoral register is actually 6 back of 198 New Town Row, the same address as on probate. If you click on the page and scroll up from his entry it is under New Town Row, St Stephens St is the next street listed. Hope this helps.

I haven't been able to find a coroner's report for him, but there are lots of other very able researchers on here, who may be able to help you.

Last edited:
Percival served as a Private in the Gloucester regiment in ww1 he enlisted 1-11-1915 and was discharged 31-5-1918.

His date of birth given on the 1939 eve of war register is 28th May 1875, he is single, occupation Tailors shop porter unemployed.

Have just found his birth registration though and it was registered in June quarter 1874, so perhaps the day and month is correct and he made himself a year younger??

Also his last address in 1950 on the electoral register is actually 6 back of 198 New Town Row, the same address as on probate. If you click on the page and scroll up from his entry it is under New Town Row, St Stephens St is the next street listed. Hope this helps.

I haven't been able to find a coroner's report for him, but there are lots of other very able researchers on here, who may be able to help you.
Thanks for that info Bewdley.
The coroner's report is probably not available as it is fairly recent, but I am hoping there is a newspaper report on the inquest which will say how he died.
Marion

Thanks for that info Bewdley.
The coroner's report is probably not available as it is fairly recent, but I am hoping there is a newspaper report on the inquest which will say how he died.
Marion

hello marion about 5 years ago i was able to obtain a cornoners report.. post mortem report and police and witness statements about an event in my family in 1945...cant be certain but i think i was told that there is a 60 year closure..i think it would be worth your while contacting the birmingham coroners office i found them most helpful..you do have to pay of course...think it cost me £11 at the time but well worth it

lyn

Please could someone look up a coroner's report on the death of this man.
He was apparently last seen alive on 23rd Jan 1952 & found dead on the 29th Jan.
The last address I can find for him is 6 back 198 St Stephens St in 1950.
He doesn't appear to have married & as far as I can tell he was an only child. He describes himself in the 1911 census as an unattached journalist. By this I think he probably means freelance.
His will was proved in March 1952 & probate was granted to Charles Henry Dingley, solicitor & Ethel Joan Davis spinster.
I live in Spain, so can't get to the library to do the look up for myself, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Marion
Hi All,
Marion it is possible that a post mortem revealed that he died of natural causes in which case there would not be an inquest. It is possible that it was not even reported to the coroner. You might do better to obtain a copy of the death certificate.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Hi All,
Marion it is possible that a post mortem revealed that he died of natural causes in which case there would not be an inquest. It is possible that it was not even reported to the coroner. You might do better to obtain a copy of the death certificate.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)
Thanks very much to everyone who has posted info.
This man was only a distant cousin, so I don't really want to go to the expense of buying certs etc. I was just curious to know how he died, especially as he left a will which I wouldn't have expected.
As you say Old Boy, it was probably natural causes.

Marion

Reports are available at the library over 75 years old - no use to you for 1952. I asked for info by emailing here [email protected]
If there is a search I think there is a time delay but they might be able to help.

Percival served as a Private in the Gloucester regiment in ww1 he enlisted 1-11-1915 and was discharged 31-5-1918.
He was discharged due to "sickness" and given the Silver War Badge to show he had served and been discharged unfit for service. Age given as 41.

Back