• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Penninah Richardson ASTON

Caggwag

proper brummie kid
Hi. I’m looking into the life of my ggnan. Penninah Richardson nee smith. Born and as far as i know lived all her life in Birmingham. Aston . She was born in 1869 . But I can not find a birth certificate or her parents. My mum seems to remember her mum saying she was a foundling. Does anyone know where I could find out any information about Penninah please? Thanks carrie

hi carrie we have a section for surname interests so i will move this thread to there for you as this is the news and events thread..hopefully some of our members will be able to help you...i will also change the thread title

lyn

hi carrie we have a section for surname interests so i will move this thread to there for you as this is the news and events thread..hopefully some of our members will be able to help you...i will also change the thread title

lyn
Thank you

A friend has come across this . Wrong birth date but who knows

Attachments

• A3FF26A0-3D54-4AD2-A7E6-BF81B4F192CA.png
    A3FF26A0-3D54-4AD2-A7E6-BF81B4F192CA.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 19
A couple of interesting things, not sure if they're relevant.

Listed on the 1881 census living in Aston are a Mary Ann May (1845), Sydney May (1867) & Pennie May (1869) all born in Bath, Somerset.

There is a marriage for a Mary Ann May to a Vincent Dows 1890 Bordesley. Mary's father is listed as Thomas Lashing.

In 1891 Vincent & Mary are living in Bham, Mary's birthplace is Bath.

There is birth registration for a Mary Ann Lasbury 1843 Bath, her father is Thomas.

On the 1901 & 1911 census there is Sydney Smith Douse living in Smethwick, his birth is 1867 Bath.

There is a birth registration for a Sydney Smith Dowse Mar qtr 1867 Bath, mmn is Lasbury.

A couple of interesting things, not sure if they're relevant.

Listed on the 1881 census living in Aston are a Mary Ann May (1845), Sydney May (1867) & Pennie May (1869) all born in Bath, Somerset.

There is a marriage for a Mary Ann May to a Vincent Dows 1890 Bordesley. Mary's father is listed as Thomas Lashing.

In 1891 Vincent & Mary are living in Bham, Mary's birthplace is Bath.

There is birth registration for a Mary Ann Lasbury 1843 Bath, her father is Thomas.

On the 1901 & 1911 census there is Sydney Smith Douse living in Smethwick, his birth is 1867 Bath.

There is a birth registration for a Sydney Smith Dowse Mar qtr 1867 Bath, mmn is Lasbury.
Hi . Thank you so much for looking. I have not come across those names before. I will look into it

Hi Iam still looking for the first 17 years missing from my ggn life . Only when she gets married, are there any records of her. Strange on the wedding certificate she is listed as living at 66 Miller street in 1886. With her husband Richard John Richardson

Couples sometimes give the same address so they can get married in the parish. It doesn't mean that both or either were actually living there, just an address of convenience.

I have wondered if they just have that address. I can’t find a birth certificate for her and no records at all until she gets married. It’s so Frustrating

No mmn listed.

Confirms that she was indeed born in Bath and not Birmingham.

As she was not registered the same way as her brother I wonder if they had the same father.

No mmn listed.

Confirms that she was indeed born in Bath and not Birmingham.

As she was not registered the same way as her brother I wonder if they had the same father.
What did you put in. I don’t know anything about a brother? Where can I find this information please? Thanks

I just entered the surnames above,one at a time, criteria born 1869 Somerset.
Can't find Sydney though.

Ok you have lost me. I’m looking on ancestry and there is nothing. Who is Sydney? Where have you entered the surnames?

What did you put in. I don’t know anything about a brother? Where can I find this information please? Thanks

Information I gave previously, post #9, seems to be your Peninah. Listed as Pennie May with mother and brother.

I see that on her marriage to Richard Richardson, Peninah gave her father's name as Jacob.

A couple of interesting possibilities. There is a Jacob Smith born 1842 East Harptree in Somerset and his father's name was Sydney.

Alternatively there is a Jacob Smith Dowse born 1840 in Great Cheverell Wiltshire. He has a brother Sydney Smith Dowse.

Witnesses and occupation on Peninah's marriage would be interesting.

Back