• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pen striker

scribbler

proper brummie kid
The 1891 census states that my gt. grandmother - Emma Jane Taylor (b. 1870 - d. 1921) and other members of her family were pen strikers living in Cromwell Road, Aston.

Was a pen striker a pen nib maker?

Was this work done at home or in a factory?

The following year Emma Jane married Thomas Hiley and by the 1911 census was a newsagent in Cromwell Road Aston and her husband was an annealer. I know annealing is something to do with working in glass but I'm not sure what my gt. grandfather did - or where.

I'm trying to write a biography about my grandmother - Edith Lucy Onions (nee Hiley) b. 1893 d. 1986) and any information would be very useful.

Exactly right Bernard. I had a go at being a "Pen Striker" when I visited the Pen Museum. The set up is excellent although I can't imagine how those ladies
managed to do that job day after day. Kudos to them and for a small wage as well.

I live in Yorkshire - but I'd love to go to the museum when I get a chance to visit Birmingham. I'm currently writing about my grandmother's life, my mother's mother. I've already written booklets about my father and my grandfather. My visits to Birmingham were restricted to 2 weeks holiday a year in the 1950's and 1960 up until 1964, when my Nan moved to live with us in Southampton. Memories are vague-ish. nan worked packing taps somewhere in Aston. Does anybody know where that was?

I had forgotten that Jenny - I volunteered Linda to give it a try.

Just found this Video which may be of help.

[video=youtube;Wz87ZV1s6dQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wz87ZV1s6dQ[/video]

That was fantastic Bernard!!!

It just makes me want to visit Birmingham. Must save up so I can visit for a few days - when the weather gets more reliable <grin>.

Ah I feared you may not be close enough to just drop in. Once you sort out a visit let us know and folk will be able to advise where to visit to fit in with your interests. Time it right and it may coincide with one of our get togethers.

I look forward to it <vbg>. 1964-2014 - The place will be unrecognisable... I'll need lots of help and advice. Coming on here has triggered so many memories... sterilized milk - YUK!! - Wimbushes cakes - the ones with jam and cream in the middle and 4 dollops of jam on top - YUM. The 'witches hat' ride at Aston Park - made me feel sick. Outside loos (newspaper - not loo roll) and no running water or sink in the kitchen. So many memories...

Back