• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pelican Works

W

Wendy

I managed to take this photo today of the Pelican on the roof of what was The Pelican Works on Great Hampton Street. What a magnificent specimen.

Various_033.JPG

Hi Wendy: Thanks for posting your photo of the Pelican atop the Pelican Works. Looks as though the facing underneath the Pelican could do with a touch up. I had a look
around on the history of the Pelican Works. The company was founded by Thomas Wilkinson in 1832. He was from Sheffield originally. Their brand name was "Pelican Ware" There is an example of a Creamer set in the Museum in Dallas which shows a unique plating method featuring several birds
https://dallasmuseumofart.org:9090/emuseum/internal/media/dispatcher/7658/resize:format$003dpreview
Couldn't find anything definite about the Pelican Logo. The bird on the building is quite unique. Thomas Wilkinson ended his life at Arundel Place, Soho Hill, Handsworth
this information was posted in the London Gazette at the time of his death by his solicitor who was asking for any claimants on his estate to come forward.

Last edited:
Wow thank you Jennyann some great information. I often wondered where the Pelican name and logo came from. I did wonder if it was a fashion at the time I wondered about the Crocodile works as well. I knew they were electro platers but it seems from what you have found it's a unique method. It would be nice to find out a little more.

Hi Wendy: Thanks for posting your photo of the Pelican atop the Pelican Works. Looks as though the facing underneath the Pelican could do with a touch up. I had a look
around on the history of the Pelican Works. The company was founded by Thomas Wilkinson in 1832. He was from Sheffield originally. Their brand name was "Pelican Ware" There is an example of a Creamer set in the Museum in Dallas which shows a unique plating method featuring several birds
Couldn't find anything definite about the Pelican Logo. The bird on the building is quite unique. Thomas Wilkinson ended his life at Arundel Place, Soho Hill, Handsworth
this information was posted in the London Gazette at the time of his death by his solicitor who was asking for any claimants on his estate to come forward.

For more info and speculation on the Pelican see here...

Back