• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peculiar Problem

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two laptops, one is on W8.1. the other is W10. As I wasn't too keen on W10, never upgraded other to W10.Unfortunately, when I was recently having problems, I allowed the W8,1 to go onto a microsoft account. Did not solve problem, which I have solved in other ways, but am lumbered with microsoft sccount on there now
For years I have accessed the Gale newspaper site using , usually chrome, but sometimes IE. on both machines. Suddenly this morning My W8.1 machine will not access it in Chrome. Just get blank screen. Can access on W8.1 machine in IE, and can access on W10 machine in either Chrome or IE.
It is not great problem as it means just changing my browser if wanting to get that site on W8.1 machine, but wonder if anyone has come accross anything similar

Perhaps you could try clearing the Chrome cache, cookies, etc in your W8.1 machine. Using W10 I had to do a Chrome cache clean earlier this week when Chrome would not let me search some threads on the BHF !

Don't do this ...

I was sitting at the kitchen table multitasking as below ...
Eating a meal.
Watching the kitchen TV .... well it is on a windowsill immediately in front of me.
My iPad was on the table and it beeped showing an email so I reached out to look at it.
There was some plonker on the TV I did not like so reached for the remote and knocked over a full glass of water and drenched my iPad ...:worried:

Meal forgotten I wrenched the iPad out of it's protective cover and could see that water had entered the lightning socket.
The iPad closed down as I swung it round and round to make as much water as possible leave it and then much wiping with kitchen towel.

I left it for about half an hour and then pressed the home button to see it come on showing 5% battery which was the actual reason it had closed down.

Plugged in the charger and after two hours it was charged and came on. I'm glad they use glue and not screws to hold them to together.

Lessons have been learnt .... :rolleyes:

Lucky you can still multitask, Phil, I gave that up a few years ago now! :)

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I've now resolved to keep my iPad off the table when eating ...

A 'peculiar' thing happened to me in a large supermarket last week. As I walked in a bright young man persuaded me to try their new 'Scan and Go' system. He quickly explained that all I had to do was scan item bar codes before putting them directly in my bags in the trolley. When I had everything all I needed to do was point the scanner at a self serve till, put my debit card in and walk out.

But so many people were using the system there were larger queues at the self serve tills than at normal checkouts. It was no quicker for me.

I've gone back to normal checkouts but suspect that the 'scan and go' system will eventually take over and I will be going round supermarkets without saying a single word to anyone !

Phil

Hi Maurice,

I've now resolved to keep my iPad off the table when eating ...

A 'peculiar' thing happened to me in a large supermarket last week. As I walked in a bright young man persuaded me to try their new 'Scan and Go' system. He quickly explained that all I had to do was scan item bar codes before putting them directly in my bags in the trolley. When I had everything all I needed to do was point the scanner at a self serve till, put my debit card in and walk out.

But so many people were using the system there were larger queues at the self serve tills than at normal checkouts. It was no quicker for me.

I've gone back to normal checkouts but suspect that the 'scan and go' system will eventually take over and I will be going round supermarkets without saying a single word to anyone !

Phil
I expect what they loose if someone goes through with something they haven't scanned is more than made up by the checkout staff wages they'll have saved. Seems that many of the customers at my local Tesco using the self scan system are stopped and rechecked before leaving anyway which appears to me to beat the purpose of self scan.

We have a Lidl here in Crete and periodically they will have some audit guy standing outside wanting to see your till receipt and have a very quick look at what you have bought. I'm not even sure whether they are checking up on the trustworthiness of their customers or their till staff. I'm not sure whether it achieves anything as the check of your goods is very cursory. We don't even have self service at filling staions yet unless you happen to be a trusted customer such as a taxi driver.

Maurice

I am not sure if all the recent replies have been concerned with the Scan & go system referred to by Old Mowhawk, In that system it is reasonable to do occasional random checks, as it would be too easy for some to defraud. However I would take great exception if random checks were carried out on those using self service tills, where the items have to be individually scanned at the till and it would be much more noticeable that someone was omitting to scan an item and just transferred it to their bags from the basket. If this was tried I think one would be perfectly entitled to refuse unless some reason was given (such as the beep from one of the door scanners

Sorry if I hijacked your thread Mike but for some reason I do tend to avoid starting new threads and searched and thought doing a peculiar thing like pouring water over an iPad could go in your thread .... and now we've drifted into supermarkets but self scanning does seem peculiar to an old fogey like me ... :)

I am not sure if all the recent replies have been concerned with the Scan & go system referred to by Old Mowhawk, In that system it is reasonable to do occasional random checks, as it would be too easy for some to defraud. However I would take great exception if random checks were carried out on those using self service tills, where the items have to be individually scanned at the till and it would be much more noticeable that someone was omitting to scan an item and just transferred it to their bags from the basket. If this was tried I think one would be perfectly entitled to refuse unless some reason was given (such as the beep from one of the door scanners
Apparently Mike, this has been quite a problem, but not non-scanning which is almost impossible to do as when I put a bag which already had something in it, the whole system froze and came up with unexpected item in bagging area and I got a lecture from a jobsworth about not taking paid for and non supermarket goods into the self serve area etc etc etc, no the problem is scanning a cheap item and bagging a much dearer item, this from a local Sainsbury's worker, who would not tell me how uit worked, but apparently you can rescan an item. No I am not clever enough to understand it.

Bob

This is really going off topic but regarding oldMohawk and water damage! I accidentally washed my husband's car keys some years ago, the kind with a "zapper" for the locks. (They are more complicated now). I rushed to get a bag of rice from the cupboard, I read somewhere it's the thing to do if your phone gets wet. I put the keys in the dry rice for a few days and it worked again! Luckily he had a spare one.
rosie.

Back