• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peck Lane Old Prison

Carlos

Brummie babby
Not all of it is under new St station. attached is a 1808 map ( forgot to put date in title), which seems to show that the new st end was about where Stephenson place is (no one would have heard of stephenson in 1808 or before, so it must have been called something else. the other threequarters certainly would be under New St. also below is a 1778 map showing the lane. It certainly was there back to 1553, but cannot find the gaol marked on any map i have.
mike

peck2520lane25201778_.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos

Brummie babby
Hello people, I'm Carlos and I'm new to this site. I've been researching Lost Roads in Birmingham for a few years now and I've come the conclusion that part of Peck Lane still exists. I don't think it's where Stephensons Place is that kind of aligns with Kings Street. But the grammar school was on one corner of Peck Lane on New Street, that was replaced by two buildings Odeon Cinema and King Edwards House. The other corner of Peck Lane falls at the back of the exchange building. So my guess is that the unnamed alleyway in between the HSBC and TSB Banks today is the last vestige of Peck Lane. I'm trying to upload the pics I've taken but this site says the files are too large so I can't upload them yet.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Hello Carlos, I had the same problem and Astoness helped me out, this is what she told me and it has worked every time.

double click on the photo..
right click on the photo
hover over "open with"
to the right of that it will say "paint"click on it
top left click on " re size"
in the top box it will say 100...remove that and type in 40
click ok
click on "close" top right of the page
click on "save"
the photo should now be ok to post to the forum...fingers crossed

Good Luck!

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
On the subject of debtors being sent to prison in the early years such as warick then it was transformed to winson green
and these people whom fell into debt because of rates or rents any form of debt really what ever the case
they usaly got about six weeks for debt and sent to prison but they was marked in different clothing to the nasty people like burgulars and murders they whore dark grey uniforms and segrgated from other prisoners and they was dressed in a brown uniforms
on different wings meaning landing from the real convicts

paul stacey

master brummie
Very interesting Alan, you are a fountain of knowledge. We hav'nt spoken for quite a long time. I believe up until the 1820's, you could be executed or transported for debt above 10 Gns. Regards Paul.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi paul
Nice to here from you again yes it been some time since we last spoke , and i hope you are well
yes its true they did transport debtors people for about the total i could have been lesser in that date of perod thou
then the laws was changing and as long as you offered or forfeit to the said person a piece of silver
meaning a possible on circumstance old 6d or 1 shilling piece you would have to made a promise
to continue paying with out fault to the said person
But failure to do so meant one thing and the judge would send you to prison
but considering the 1930 to the fifties it was still going on people was still being sent to winson green prison for that period
some was slightly longer, i think it was at the end of the fifties they started to decline sending people
to prison and introduced the baliffs to frighten people and come and remove goods which they did
by sixties thats when they come to throw people out of there propertys and put it all on there gardens
and lock them out but people with a large family was excuted from one property at ten
by 4 oclock the same day birmingham city council gave them keys to another property for them to move in
paul i will hang up here for now i look foreward to hearing from you again best wishes Astonian Alan,,,

Carlos

Brummie babby
After a lot of research and checking from the old maps, I conclude that a Vestige of Peck Lane still exists as an unnamed alley running between TSB and HSBC banks on New Street. Kings Street was the ramp part of Stephenson Street, the rest was Queens Street. Corporation Street didn’t exist back then so you can’t compare it on the old map. The old grammar school building was on the corner of Peck Lane and the building which stands there today in its place (King Edwards House) is also on the corner of this unnamed alley.

Attachments

• C5AA3D11-7593-4989-807D-54B20D0B3A35.jpeg
    C5AA3D11-7593-4989-807D-54B20D0B3A35.jpeg
    772.9 KB · Views: 20

Carlos

Brummie babby
Here’s some other pics from different angles, the HSBC bank is where the Exchange Building was and still is (the frontage not as elaborate as before but it’s still the exchange building) The TSB bank is at King Edwards House exactly where the grammar school was so the path in between is where Peck Lane would have been - this path really doesn’t have a name right now. I have also taken pics of the blue plaque on the side of the TSB bank which indicates the site of the grammar school

Attachments

• D3A3990F-9551-487B-B9BA-AC0201350DA1.jpeg
    D3A3990F-9551-487B-B9BA-AC0201350DA1.jpeg
    929.3 KB · Views: 15
  • CA645C73-B2F5-4F25-BF4D-B01434F1512B.jpeg
    CA645C73-B2F5-4F25-BF4D-B01434F1512B.jpeg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 31250350-C0EE-4707-83AF-755E2BB91114.jpeg
    31250350-C0EE-4707-83AF-755E2BB91114.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 16
  • E03CD388-07A6-4FEE-9C7D-F0CB9FB1FAF3.jpeg
    E03CD388-07A6-4FEE-9C7D-F0CB9FB1FAF3.jpeg