• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
’Ow do Elliott, ar that’s interestin’ about ’em filmin’ that at the Black County Museum’s school – I liked the pic. of the copper an’ the chalk mark where the body was!

By the way, did anyone else clock it when Michael said “been out in Maypole”? I thought t’meself, hang on, dun’t us Brummies say ‘the Maypole’, as in “over at the Maypole” or “up the Maypole” – or is it just me??

Ar clocked the mention of Moseley an’ all. Damn’ good last night, can’t wait till the next series now!!

Last edited:
There’s a Birmingham Mail article from 5 May here which has “The manor is actually Arley House in Cheshire but is meant to be between Birmingham and Warwick, on the River Arrow as it’s named Arrow House on TV.” But then it has Steven Knight saying “It’s probably near where Chelmsley Wood council estate is now”, which would put it nearer to Coleshill, rather than Hampton-in-Arden or Catherine-de-Barnes. Though none of these places seem to be near the River Arrow which is also mentioned, as, according to this, that flows from the Lickey Hills south-east towards Redditch.

Wherever it was, it was in line with The Maypole as thats where they were told to block the roads looking for Tommy's son.

’Ow do Elliott, sorry y’dun’t like me typin’, as I never meant it t’upset anyone an’ am surprised y’ve taken offence. Maybe best for ya to ignore me postin’s from now on then, an’ I’ll be sure not to reply t’any more of yours. All I was doin’ was addin’ a bit of Brummie colour, so, like I say, sorry y’dun’t like things.

On the pic., I did see it was summut the Black Country Museum did an’ not part of the telly series. Still thought it was good mind – ta for sharin’ it. Anyroad, think I best depart now, so cheers an’ tarar.

No problem, although Google Translate would have a hard time trying to translate that.

You might recognise these locations.

So far today I've 'not-liked' Steptoe & Son and some comedians on other threads so I may as well get the hat-trick. I really didn't like Peaky Blinders, I thought that it was disappointing. Most of them mangled the Brummie accent (which I will admit is very difficult to mimic) and sounded Irish at times and the violence was over the top. I also don't like overt sex on the tele, much happier with dot-dot- dot and into the sunset. There - done it - I can go to bed and get up tomorrow and start liking things again.

Can not get it in the USA, for free. Did see some episodes when in Brum visiting. The use of the word F----K all the time, in my mind offensive, In fact I had never heard that word, or used that word, all the time that I lived my first 24 years in Brum? I did Google the word and it goes back to the 15th century?? Did anyone else ever use that word in the 1940s 1950s or so?

well Lady
The only thing i did not like about the peaky blinders is the story lines are not what they should be
from day one yes it started on the right footing with the story line begining about the irish connections
which was about the area of summer lane and with the storming of a business a premises
cooking and with the spit rotary a blazing because yes in that period there was a coffee shop cooking roast meats
in the window and a chef hat guy wearing the hat and really the comunist connections
there was a book shop in mosely village during that period it was meant to be which was under cover
with irish connections
and the story line bringing the irish chiefe to sort out the problems of our early days of trouble
in birmingham ,and of course we had the mix of people being irish and brummies [population
in and around summer lane and aston and in thiose days it was rife
and when they got caurt for crimes some was petty crimes they would be taken before our courts and shipped back home
back to there mother land but yes as you well may know they would be back on the next boat from ireland
for the meanial priceof a fiver and there was organised crimes around summer lane
going back to gerations of familys whom was known in brum and of summer lane and farm street
i dont wish to waffle on all night but i will say its started good but lost its way in the next few weks it continued
and the story missed out about the involved ment of getting involved with the housig departments
and more of the police officer brought over from ireland and i have not seen what you call se scene it
you should know yourself just how bad it was in that neck of the woods in that period
hockley and farm street was just as bad nororitous gangsters safe blowers and villains
of all discriptions best wishes Astonian,,,,,

So far today I've 'not-liked' Steptoe & Son and some comedians on other threads so I may as well get the hat-trick. I really didn't like Peaky Blinders, I thought that it was disappointing. Most of them mangled the Brummie accent (which I will admit is very difficult to mimic) and sounded Irish at times and the violence was over the top. I also don't like overt sex on the tele, much happier with dot-dot- dot and into the sunset. There - done it - I can go to bed and get up tomorrow and start liking things again.
I agree that the Brummie accent is all over the place...and it doesn't improve as the series progresses. However, it is very Hollywoody and meant for entertainment purposes and succeeds at that. Authenticity is cast aside in the name of commercial appeal. Over the top violence and sexual references regarding..excuse me, oral sex, are imo totally off base and together with the modern day musical soundtrack, created only for the masses. I did enjoy it though..
Dave A

Astonian, my family were in Summer Lane until the 1920's (probably later too but I haven't managed to track them down yet). Great Grandma on Grandad's side owned a second hand clothes shop on the Lane itself having moved from Frankfort Street. Nan lived in a back house Hospital Street. My great uncle was a boxer and as you know bare knuckle fighting was 'underground' at the end of the 1800's and beginning of the 1900's so I'm sure he mixed with a lot of dodgy people. Unfortunately I've found it difficult to trace much about his life in Birmingham before he emigrated to America to run a saloon. He lived in the Bowery first and judging by some of the newspapers from the States he was still mixing with dodgy people over there and one report has him in prison. I'm sure people had to be tough but they had their own code of ethics and behaviour. I remember my Aunt mentioning the Peaky Blinders but I was too young to ask any more questions.

Can not get it in the USA, for free. Did see some episodes when in Brum visiting. The use of the word F----K all the time, in my mind offensive, In fact I had never heard that word, or used that word, all the time that I lived my first 24 years in Brum? I did Google the word and it goes back to the 15th century?? Did anyone else ever use that word in the 1940s 1950s or so?

With regard to the F... word, when we were about age 7 to 8 , say 1946/7 one of "Our Gang" said he had learnt a new swear word but didn't know what it meant. That didn't put us off so the 3 or 4 of us were outside our house in Tillingham St saying "F..." this and "F..." that.
Suddenly the front door opened and my Mom was there and wanted to know what was going on and where did we get the word from. I was sent indoors to await my fate while Mom went to see the other kids parents.
When we proved our innocence of the meaning and promised never to use it were off the hook.
Recently out here in Oz a neighbors grandson as a toddler was using it all the time having picked it up from workers in his Dad's plumbing business. When they had a couple from the UK staying with them the man of the couple said he could cure the problem. When the kiddy used the word the bloke said "Did you say Paisley" that's a dreadful word, don't let me hear you say that again while I'm in this house".
From then on the youngster was happy walking around muttering Paisley, just for the shock value.
Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings !
Cheers Tim.
Ps I want to hear you ask "What the Paisley is Tim on about!

Last night on Channel 5, Alex Polizzi, The Hotel Inspector, was helping a hotel pull themselves round. The hotel was in Southport and the Bar was named Peaky Blinders. No idea why, but an obvious attempt to cash in on something which has no connection whatsoever with the area where it is situated.

I won't even cover the face of Tommy OBE on the coasters you sent me lyn ,I put me coffee to the side,lol.

oh alberta...as i sent you two coasters i thought you may have least have used one for your cuppa...should have know better really:D:D

lyn

Here I am sitting on the Costa Blanca in my shorts, lovely sunny ,warm day, nice meal and a glass of wine. Now perfect evening with new Peaky Blinders and a few cans of San Miguel. Life is a bitch at times. Makes getting up for work all those cold mornings worth while.

I see that in Series 3 there is the first mention of Jessie Eden, who will play a big part in Series 4.

I don't think she has a mention yet on the Forum, it may be interesting to what is made of the good lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back