• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the peaky blinders

carolina, thanks for the info, looking forward to watching it, just hope t's not too "glamorized" for TV, let's have a true picture of what it was like back then.
jimbo

There is a write up today in one of the supplements of the Mail on Sunday giving Birmingham a good un' 'But its Birmingham thats the star of the show - people forget that it was a powerhouse, a world manufacturing city more important that Detroit or Chicago - We are putting our city back on the map.

STARTING BBC2 NEXT MONTH

thanks carolina really been looking forward to this one...

lyn

On watching the clip it seems that like all other portrayals of the Birmingham accent, it is a little over the top. Never mind, it should still be worth watching, looking forward to it.
jimbo

There is another video today in the Daily Mail online. As Jimbo says the accent is a little over the top, plus the interior of the houses, but I am looking forward to it also.

It is any time soon Paul they are running the trailers now.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Will be interesting to hear on the BBC from viewers outside the Birmingham area how the series informed them of Birmingham and its heritage-that's if the programmes are anywhere accurate though.

Maybe we could set up a BHF history tours for willing voyeurs of crime in Brum of those years, and get some dosh in!

Richie.

Thanks for the info
I look forward to seeing it ......... from the last link it sounds as if they actually have our accent correct!!!!

I have read that they have tried to get 1920s Brummy accents. As we all speak differently now from how we spoke years ago, I don't know how they plan to achieve this. May be the accents aren't over the top. I have also read the the actor playing the Northern Irish policeman had to tone that accent down for the benefit of the American audience.

I believe the guy playing the main character is from Ireland too.
It will be interesting to hear how they cope with the accents.

What most people seem to class as a Brummie accent I'd say was Black Country and people who want to emphasise there 'Brummieness' tend to thicken it up in that direction.

The Peaky Blinders. Just looked on tv planner. It looks as though it starts this Thursday 12th September 2013. BBC2 9pm. 1st of 6 episodes. Thanks for info on Peaky Blinders - all new to me. Should be interesting !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back