• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaky Blinders main man Tommy Shelby is portrayed by Cillian Murphy who expertly changes his accent, from Irish to Brummie to play the iconic gangster. In a new video by the BBC, the actor can be heard speaking with his Irish accent as he details his character.

Didn't get tickets for the new series premiere (once again), I do hope that someone else on here was more fortunate in the BBC ballot. Aunt Polly will be much missed, but it will be great to see what will sadly be the final series.

1645544352607.png 1645544590050.png

Some time ago I saw a programme with Cillian Murphy interviewing Julie Walters. It's perhaps on iPlayer - I can't remember the title. The Irish accent is well to the fore!

I saw him years ago long before he was Thomas, heard his beautiful Irish accent in , The Wind that Shakes the Barley , 16 years ago.

Roll on Sunday, sad that it will be the last series on TV:sob: and especially without Aunt Poll.
Might buy myself the box set and watch it for evermore:):)

I saw him years ago long before he was Thomas, heard his beautiful Irish accent in , The Wind that Shakes the Barley , 16 years ago.

Roll on Sunday, sad that it will be the last series on TV:sob: and especially without Aunt Poll.
Might buy myself the box set and watch it for evermore:):)
I'd like to see that, Alberta. Have you seen Sunshine, where he plays a physicist/astronaut?

I`ve never watched Peaky Blinders but i get the impression that it`s violent, which begs the question.....why are some women so fascinated with these violent characters. Just reading some of the comments, ladies seem to be enthralled with these mobsters? I am mystified & will probably get flamed for my comments but..........

My mother in law remembers the real Peaky Blinders and just how violent they were. Did they really have razor blades in the peaks of their caps so they could blind people?

They used their hats with razor blades sewn in to rob people. That's what a Peaky Blinder was. When they hit someone or headbutted someone on the nose while wearing one, it would cause their victim temporary blindness.
Alternatively the caps would be used to slash foreheads causing blood to pour down into the eyes of their enemies causing temporary blindness.

Birmingham historian Carl Chinn believes not. The original gang actually dated from the 1890s. Razor blades were only then coming in to use and as such were a luxury item. The gang members would have been quite poor and it is doubtful that razor blades were affordable by them. Carl goes on to say that even if they were sewn into the peaked caps they would not have made an effective weapon.

The name Peaky Blinder more likely comes from the the time fashionable peaked cap. A blinder in the local slang was more likely to denote someone that looked stylish, smart, striking or sharp (pun not intended, much).

My friend phoned me yesterday and said she had some bad news for me,lol. My husband was delighted that the other love of my life was going to die, we shall probably divorce soon:):):) but before that
I am going to ask him to buy me the Peaky blinders box set for my birthday:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back