• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Payton Pepper & Co Ltd

Just bought a beautiful gold Celtic Cross, it’s marked
PPLD, Payton Pepper and sons, Birmingham assay mark but I cannot work out when it was made , it has a V on it but there are 2 or 3 that look similar for Birmingham, any help much appreciated.
Tim Healy

C3E0A5B3-9F8C-4D27-92AD-4351CF668D87.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C102AD0-0584-46E6-8634-E09260C9E5FA.jpeg
    7C102AD0-0584-46E6-8634-E09260C9E5FA.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DD285FFA-2FDA-494B-B939-5C383166A876.jpeg
    DD285FFA-2FDA-494B-B939-5C383166A876.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
A search gave several but it looks like a V in a circle
1870-1871[V].png

1870-1871[V]

I think I’ve managed to work it out, it looks like it's in a box with chamfered edges, the Right side of the V is slightly thinner and shorter than the Left side. 2 dates that match the V, 1920 & 1945, they are almost identical V’s. It’s a pity I cannot identify the style of the Celtic Cross, it would help with identifying the year.I will try later to upload a photo. Thank you for your help

Does anyone have information about Payton & Pepper the Jewellery manufacturers, or know where they were situated in the Jewellery Quarter please?
My Granddad and Great-Granddad worked for them from the early 1900’s until the 60's.
There’s a family tradition that there was a connection with the firm. My Granddad’s name was Underhill, and I’ve been told that one of the Underhill’s, (Emma) married Henry Payton in the mid to late 1800’s. I've found the marriage and found them on the 1891 Census, but can't find a link to my branch of the Undrehill family as yet so was wondering if anyone else knew anything about them.
Thanks
Steve
My step grandmother's mother was Annie Payton. She married Edwin Palethorpe. Annie was the daughter of George Payton. George Payton's brother was Henry Payton. Henry had a son also named Henry who was disowned by his father when he married someone not approved of by his father. Would need to look up my family history on ancestry Web site to see what name s come up. I have done an extensive family history and also have the founder of the company his apprentice records when he, a poor child of Birmingham, was apprenticed to one William Deacon (from memory) a goldsmith. Have more records, census returns and descendants of the Payton family. Also how the Pepper family became involved by the marriage of Pepper who married one of Henry's daughter. Due his drive and sales ability Pepper became a Director and his name added to the Payton name to become Payton and Pepper. Richard Dolman.

Hi,

It might be worth following up the makers mark. PP&CO was in use in 1895
PPLD with a small raised capital D is noted between 1898 and 1914, a similar
mark but with a stop below the raised D between 1901 and 1914, and P.PLD
with the small raised capital D and no stop under it in 1931 and 1963.
Those dates for when the marks were "seen". The mark seen between 1901 and
1914 is the nearest to the one on the cross but there is no 'v' in that period
If the company became limited in 1895, that was a 'v' year, the subsequent
years all being at 25 year intervals.
Good luck in your search,

Kind regards
Dave

Hi there

I am new to the group and also not at all used to computer based websites! -so please forgive me if I seem amateurish....

I worked for the jewellery maker Payton Pepper in the 1980s and 90s. I have found their old Minute Books in my loft during this closedown and am doing a write up about their experiences of the roaring 20s and the Wall St crash.

They were based at 3,4 &5 Vyse Street in Hockley at that time. Do you by any good chance have a contemporaneous photo of that building?

I will submit my write up and pictures to you when I finish it.

Thanks and regards

Lawrence
I worked at Payton peppers from 6th April 1960 to April1970 as a apprentice diamond and general mounter. I have one of their old booklets on the jewellery they made (probably pre-war)
John Stait

I have a little information I can add about Payton Pepper: my uncle Leon Higham was the Company Chairman in the 1980s. The Company was owned by the descedants of the two families, the Paytons and the Peppers. Through various generations, there were a large number of shareholders, who required that an 'independent' chairman should be appointed who was not a member of the two families. I understand that the Company was liquidated some time after his death, having become insolvent, due to a significant fraud.
I have a memento of his time as Chairman, which is a fabergé-style egg, originally produced by the Company as a prototype for a commission to provide a gift for her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on the occasion of the opening of the St David's Hall in Cardiff in 1983. I understand that a second was later produced for a gift to Her Majesty the Queen at the opening go the new Lloyds of London building in 1986. (I have a photograph of one of them, but I don't know which!) The prototype was given by "family and friends" to my aunt in 1987 to mark her 75th Birthday, specially decorated internally with a picture of the Parish Church at Areley Kings where they my Uncle and Aunt were married.

Payton Pepper merged with Barker Ellis and the group went out of business some years ago. I was the last chairman. I know about the Pepper family tree but not the Payton one. I may be able to put you in touch with a Payton if you want.

Gordon Pepper
Ann Payton married Josiah Pepper 1st Jan 1861. They were my great great grandparents (I think that's the right number of "great"s). My maiden name is Whitehouse and had shares in PP.

Hi there

I am new to the group and also not at all used to computer based websites! -so please forgive me if I seem amateurish....

I worked for the jewellery maker Payton Pepper in the 1980s and 90s. I have found their old Minute Books in my loft during this closedown and am doing a write up about their experiences of the roaring 20s and the Wall St crash.

They were based at 3,4 &5 Vyse Street in Hockley at that time. Do you by any good chance have a contemporaneous photo of that building?

I will submit my write up and pictures to you when I finish it.

Thanks and regards

Lawrence
Very interesting I'm trying to find out info of a bracelet I found of my grandma's, it looks like a silver identity bracelet
Details on front FHKY 73 2
WITH HER NAME EVA BLOOM BENEATH
ON THE BACK ITS STAMPED SILCE AND PPLd would you have any ideas what it means please thankyou

Attachments

• 20220319_142703.jpg
    20220319_142703.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220319_142646.jpg
    20220319_142646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Back