• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paypal

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

master brummie
I am not sure whether this is a scam or not, but I have received an email saying my account has been suspended. When I clicked on to see why, it came up due to fraudulent dealings. when I continued a page comes up where you fill in your details etc. I closed it immediately, because they were asking for bank details. I am not sure at all about this. Has anyone else had one. I have emailed to 'proper' Paypal just in case and asked them if it was true email or a scam.

Genuine Paypal messages will never never ask you for any kind of banking information.
If you are ever unsure about a paypal message, forward it to [email protected] they will let you know if it is genuine or not.
Hope this helps.

Carolina if you ever suspect such an email rather than clicking through just hover the cursor over the link and look for the web address in bottom left of screen. If it does not match it is more than likely a Bad Un. You can check what I mean by hovering over the +Reply To Thread button and looking below Left. Best to not click on any links as that may signal to the sender that it has reached 'Live' address. Don't want to panic you but I would be changing the password for my email at the least now.

Carolina I too received one today and anything like this I forward to one of our sons who take a look for me. When I did this a massive yellow message came up saying due to the amount of e.mails sent on this subject it would not allow me to forward it as it was likely spam. I then deleted it. They try anything to get money out of you don't they?. Mine was for a payment to Skype which we have but is free. Jean.

Bernie, Thanks for the tip about hovering the cursor over the link to check for the web address - very useful!

Thanks for the tip Bernie, didn't know that!
Carolina, I have also had a scam message supposedly from Paypal today, also confirmed by them as a scam, must be the in scam this week!! I have changed my e-mail password as well as my paypal and e-bay ones, the last time this happened the scammers got onto my ebay and hacked it, ordering hundreds of pounds worth of camera accessories. Luckily for me e-bay knew of the hacking and I didn't have to pay for anything, but you do need to be so careful today.
Sue

Another useful tip to remember is any email that arrives "Dear Paypal customer" or "Dear (Bank Name) customer will without doubt be a scam.
The true Paypal or Bank/Banks know your name and will address the email to you personally.

This scam is still going strong. We had an email from "Paypal" addressed "Dear Client" Paypal always address you by your name. We sent it off to them to deal with, but I have to admit it was a bit scary to recieve it at nearly 9 o'clock at night!!

So be on the look out my friends & take care

Thanks Maurice excellent advice and on that note I am closing this thread as the way to spot this scam is well explained along with the various means to check out similar scams.

Please though if anyone spots a new scam please start a new thread. However we would be grateful if you would check on Snopes. Mythbuster etc before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back