• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paynes shoe repairs

I remember when we all wore stilleto shoes, and the heels were always giving problems, getting stuck down crevices and cobbles, which were still in our street in the eary seventies. Paynes on Icknield St were always the shop I took mine to and they were so competent and reliable for repairs.

Hi i am new to this site and found it quite interesting reading about the Paynes story.
My older brother and i both used to work at the shop in mere green. The sign above was Paynes shoe repairs
but at the time of when we worked there it was under new ownership by a company called allied shoe repairs (still keeping the Paynes sign above)
and was then taken over by Mister Minit a Belgium company
The shop brings back lots of memories especially for me as i ended up marrying the girl that lived above the shop.
She lived there with her family as her father was a shop fitter and the company rented the flat upstairs to them.
The manager at the time was a chap called Alan Lamb,not sure if he is still about he lived in the sheldon area of Birmingham
be nice to get in touch with him if anyone can help.
both my older and younger brother are still cobblers
and work in The Erdington Wilton Market
thanks
Barry:unconscious:

Hi,sorry i don't know anyone who worked at Paynes but I do remember going into the Addison Road shop in the mid 50s with my mum so she could get her stockings repaired. Can anyone coroborate this memory or was I imagining it, we were pretty poor at the time.Angela

We used to go to Payne's Shoe Repairs in Ladypool Rd. (The Lane) Sparkbrook. In about 1950 I bought a leather powder horn at the market at Bewdley. It was made for a hunter in the early 1700's, it has a hunting scene on it with a brass device which gives a large or small charge of powder for a muzzle loader.
It needed a bit of stitching repaired and as a 13 year old I took it to Payne's where I was told there machine would only give a rough job and they prefer that I took it to someone with the right skills. I didn't appreciate it as a genuine antique and only wanted to be able to charge the Old Brown Bess musket I had and a beautiful !8th Cent fowling piece I had.

It was reluctantly repaired and it really was a rough job, but only cost me a few coppers.
I have the Powder Horn and an18th Cent a side saddle stirrup on the lounge room mantle piece down here in Oz and I so regret that I insisted on that repair. We live and learn (Or do we?)

Hi maggs
Yes we used to go to the one on ickneild street regular because my dear old friend terry Evans used to work there
Always came home more often than not with black on his face for some reason or not he was there for years and he lived in Springfield street Ladywood just up the road and around the corner from our house in king Edwards road just up from the library next one just passed Dr traicys of ingle by street

It was good around that area in those fifths years,, best wishes. Alan,,, astonian,,,,

Hello Alan,

I thought you might know the Paynes in Icknield St. I was always taking my stilleto shoes in there to have the heels tidied up. The old street I lived in at that time had cobbles, and they were deadly for my shoes. You are right about the black dirty face of the chap working in there, I think they used a lot of paint to cover scuffs on shoes, perhaps that's what it was. I used to walk almost the length of Springfield St to go to Camden St school every day. I used to go to Dr Treacy for my sins, a story there. My friends parents ran the Ingleby for a while. Can't find Ingleby St anymore. They were good years and times Alan. We have all moved on, but the memories stay.

I wondering if they had anything to do with the Paynes shoes shop on the Walsall road Scott Arms in Great Barr.
And wondered if you were connected to this branch or if so any photos available to see.. Many thanks Suzie'

Hello rollymosuzie,

My Wife has been researching her family tree for some time now & it would appear that Paynes bought out another firm of Boot & Shoe repairers by the name of Angus Macdonald of Balsall Heath in Birmingham somewhere between 1918 -1920, have you any info that may assist us in our search?

Regards,

Lozellian

Hi there

This is a pic of John Mead outside his shoe repair shop at 7 Edward Road, Balsall Heath, in 1906/07. Mead's was acquired by Paynes in, I think, 1943.

John Mead was my GG uncle. In the picture with him are his eldest daughter, Bertha Eliza Mead, and his father, George Adolf Alexander Mead, who was German and was born in Hannover.

Attachments

• John Mead outside his shop, 7 Edward Road.jpeg
    John Mead outside his shop, 7 Edward Road.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 50
Hi there

This is a pic of John Mead outside his shoe repair shop at 7 Edward Road, Balsall Heath, in 1906/07. Mead's was acquired by Paynes in, I think, 1943.

John Mead was my GG uncle. In the picture with him are his eldest daughter, Bertha Eliza Mead, and his father, George Adolf Alexander Mead, who was German and was born in Hannover.
I have only just found this website. Harry H.Payne was my grandfather, so W.R. Payne was great-uncle Bill. I only met him a few times and only in the context of work as he continued to manage the shop in Selly Oak after he sold the business to my grandfather. I can comment on a lot of the posts since from an early age I ised to vosot the shops with my father "Mr.Jack" and later I worked for the firm, often driving a delivery van but when I was in my teens I had a saturday job in shops in the Kings Heath area and Stirchley.
1. I can remember Ron Dutton at Mere Green
2. For a long time the mobile shop was based at Cannock, in a car park, until we got permanent premises
3. Barrowman - I'm sure your name is Barry do you remeber me?
4. Josie Parker - I knew ousin Waveney a little better. She was a professional artist. I inherited two of her paintings. One I gave to the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, where it is in the permanent collection. The other one hangs in my front room.
5. Ken R. Harold Burnett was my uncle, having married my father's sister, Annie. I rember the house at 83 wake Green Road well as it was just down the road from our family home.
6. Earl Gary. I worked at Addison Road shop and I think I met John Edward Payne. He wasn't related to us. It was an amusing coincidence, though.
7. Sarah P. - Many fond memroies of Albert Plant. He was a really nice chap with a smiling face. He married Joyce Snape, who was our only female "Contact Man".
There is lots more I could write but this will do for the moment.

I have only just found this website. Harry H.Payne was my grandfather, so W.R. Payne was great-uncle Bill. I only met him a few times and only in the context of work as he continued to manage the shop in Selly Oak after he sold the business to my grandfather. I can comment on a lot of the posts since from an early age I ised to vosot the shops with my father "Mr.Jack" and later I worked for the firm, often driving a delivery van but when I was in my teens I had a saturday job in shops in the Kings Heath area and Stirchley.
1. I can remember Ron Dutton at Mere Green
2. For a long time the mobile shop was based at Cannock, in a car park, until we got permanent premises
3. Barrowman - I'm sure your name is Barry do you remeber me?
4. Josie Parker - I knew ousin Waveney a little better. She was a professional artist. I inherited two of her paintings. One I gave to the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, where it is in the permanent collection. The other one hangs in my front room.
5. Ken R. Harold Burnett was my uncle, having married my father's sister, Annie. I rember the house at 83 wake Green Road well as it was just down the road from our family home.
6. Earl Gary. I worked at Addison Road shop and I think I met John Edward Payne. He wasn't related to us. It was an amusing coincidence, though.
7. Sarah P. - Many fond memroies of Albert Plant. He was a really nice chap with a smiling face. He married Joyce Snape, who was our only female "Contact Man".
There is lots more I could write but this will do for the moment.
[/QUOTE

Hello donthechain,

Do you have any recollection / knowledge of a Boot & Shoe repair business, which was located in Prince of Wales Lane, Warstock, Birmingham circa 1940's. Apparently, according to the family the business was sold to Paynes.

Lozellian

Hello Lozellian,
I've checked with my brother, Robert, and neither of us can remember a shop in Prince of Wales Lane. The nearest one that I know of was at the bottom of Haunch Lane. When we were little our mother would take us to Swanshurst Park and sometimes to Trittiford Park, where we could paddle in the River Cole but we never walked as far as P.o.W. Lane.
Some years ago my brother and I tried to compile a spreadsheet listing all the shops. All the shops were given a one- or two-letter code, so the first shop in Longmore Street was A, then Bearwood, B etc, then to Z, AA-AZ, BA-BZ, CA-CZ etc. Anyone remember this?

Apparently there were a couple of boot repairers in Prince of Wales Lane in the 40's. Peter Hawkes, Boot Repairer at number 60. E Hands Boot Repairer at number 72, and there was a F H Hawkes Boot Dealer at number 145 on the other side of the road.

There was a Payne's shoe repair shop on the Stratford Road near the Mermaid. This photograph is shown in Malcolm Keeley's superb book on "Birmingham Buses: Route by Route 1925-1975". Payne's is pictured far left and was taken in July 1963. The buses are travelling away from town. Dave.
P1000395.JPG

Hello rollymosuzie,

My Wife has been researching her family tree for some time now & it would appear that Paynes bought out another firm of Boot & Shoe repairers by the name of Angus Macdonald of Balsall Heath in Birmingham somewhere between 1918 -1920, have you any info that may assist us in our search?

Regards,

Lozellian

Hello rollymosuzie,

The name I posted is incorrect it should have read "William MacDonald" & not Angus. We've been doing so much research into the family history over the last few months I reckon confusion must have set in lol.

Lozellian.

I am currently researching my great uncle (Harry H Payne) and grandfather (William R Payne) buisness, Paynes Shoe Repairs. Is there any one who worked or has relatives who worked for them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi, my father worked for them. He managed their shop at Lynton Square Perry Barr Birmingham and we lived above their shop at 307 Walsall Road Perry Barr.

Last edited:
Back