• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

pavillion wylde green ten pin centre

Well Lyn

I enjoyed a misspent youth at the Pavilion Bowl. The photos are form the top floor bar and lanes that were used to completion and league matches.

I almost left school at 15 to take a job there as a trainee engineer. Fortunately, I came to my senses realising that a seven-day week often working till 11:00pm at night was not very sociable,

Lyn, those are smashing pictures! There's an ongoing project about Little Boldmere and the Pavillion Bowl comes into that area. I shall let them know about these shots. Thank you.

Lyn, those are smashing pictures! There's an ongoing project about Little Boldmere and the Pavillion Bowl comes into that area. I shall let them know about these shots. Thank you.

thanks pen although they are bluenose 52s photos not mine..look forward to anything else you can add to this thread

lyn

Thank you to Bluenose 52 as well!

I'm sure I have some photos of the Pavillion somewhere but when it was a cinema - but I've never seen these pictures as I said. Bring back memories and yesterday I was showing them to the other members of the history group and one member used to go there from school instead of games. Much more fun than blue legs and hockey sticks not to mention breaking my nails playing netball.....

The civic opening in March 1961 - by invitation only. Viv.

View attachment 141881
This ad contained the words my Dad loved.........Admission Free !
I can remember the family, Mom, Dad and 4 kids piling in to the old Morris Minor and visiting the Pavilion for a Sunday afternoon excursion just a few days after it opened.
If I remember correctly it was one of the first Ten Pin bowling alleys to open in the midlands and we had only ever seen them in films or on T.V.
A few years later I was bowling in a Saturday morning league at Fairlanes (?) bowl in Aston.

Tenpin bowling was regularly televised from Wylde Green in the 1960s. Viv.

View attachment 141883
Hi, I lived in Boldmere Rd, & remember the Pavilion cinema before it was turned into the Bowling Ally. The X road / Lights that are there now used to be a traffic island. Also seem to remember the (Ten Pin) World Championships being held there ! with a Big American presence (it was their "game" after all)

I lived up the Chester Rd at Glovers Trust, I have somewhere a copy of a letter sent from the trust objecting to it being changed from a cinema, I guess ten pin bowling was something the elderly residents mainly if not solely ladies, could not play LOL. It was less than a five minute walk so a trip to the cinema was going to be lost.

Back