• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paupers grave - Birmingham

K4cey

Hi all,

A very long shot here but I am hoping someone could give some advise.

I am trying to locate an ancestors burial site who sadly passed away as a baby around the late 1950’s / early 1960’s.

Her name was Susan Haynes however unfortunately we believe she was placed in a paupers grave as the family did not pay for a burial.

I am not sure specifically where and the only information we were told before other relatives who held facts about this passed away was that they do not think there is any records on birth as the hospital or maternity centre had a fire? I do not know Birmingham well enough to know which hospital?

Please can anyone help advise how I could trace this.

Thanks in advance

hi very difficult one and one we hear of a lot...but there is this death registration which i would imagine is susan..do you know where her parents were living at the time of her death... you can always order the death cert which may give you a little more info..

lyn

Susan Haynes
Death Age:0
Birth Date:abt 1958
Registration Date:Jan 1958
[Feb 1958]
[Mar 1958]
Registration Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District:Birmingham
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume:9c
Page:364

Unfortunately you might not be able to trace the burial. It is a sad fact that many such burials took place without parents knowing the burial place. In some cases they were "put in" with another burial (that family also not knowing).
As Lyn said that death cert may offer information about the death/birth but not a burial.

hi very difficult one and one we hear of a lot...but there is this death registration which i would imagine is susan..do you know where her parents were living at the time of her death... you can always order the death cert which may give you a little more info..

lyn

Susan Haynes
Death Age:0
Birth Date:abt 1958
Registration Date:Jan 1958
[Feb 1958]
[Mar 1958]
Registration Quarter:Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration District:Birmingham
Inferred County:Warwickshire
Volume:9c
Page:364
Thank you for helping.

We think her mum would have been located on Hagley Road West or Park road maybe?

Apparently they did locate the hospital but we cannot remember it, it was a private hospital I think?

Thank you for helping.

We think her mum would have been located on Hagley Road West or Park road maybe?

Apparently they did locate the hospital but we cannot remember it, it was a private hospital I think?
do you know if mum was unmarried...pretty sure there was maternity home around hagley road way...as already said very often babies were buried with other people and their burials not recorded so i fear you have little or no chance of finding where she is...ive been trying to find a stillborn burial for 10 years for a friend with no luck and i know she was born at loveday st mat hospital...

do you know if mum was unmarried...pretty sure there was maternity home around hagley road way...as already said very often babies were buried with other people and their burials not recorded so i fear you have little or no chance of finding where she is...ive been trying to find a stillborn burial for 10 years for a friend with no luck and i know she was born at loveday st mat hospital...
Yes understandable ofcourse that I may never be able to locate a place but I am trying to clutch at all straws to see what information I can find before accepting that fate. Thank you for all the help.

She would have been married we believe to Claude (Charles) Haynes.

We are not sure if there is another private hospital down near the Cape by the Dudley road?? Is this the one?

The hospital on Dudley Road is called City Hospital now, and is NHS. I believe there was a private maternity home on Lordwood Road which goes off Hagley Road but the place was at the Harborne end.
(Lyn, I've also tried to trace a burial form Loveday street which was supposed to be at Yardley but isn't.)

I tried to paste a link to Birmingham Bereavement Services but it won't go, perhaps Janice can do it please?
rosie.

Thank you Janice, I don't know why it didn't work. It is a useful resource for burials and cremations.
rosie.

The hospital on Dudley Road is called City Hospital now, and is NHS. I believe there was a private maternity home on Lordwood Road which goes off Hagley Road but the place was at the Harborne end.
(Lyn, I've also tried to trace a burial form Loveday street which was supposed to be at Yardley but isn't.)

I tried to paste a link to Birmingham Bereavement Services but it won't go, perhaps Janice can do it please?
rosie.
hi rosie the burial i cant find is from 1935 and i do have a copy of the still born death cert...the mother of the child always maintained that the child was taken from her and buried at key hill ..the parents of the child did not attend a funeral.... but alas there is no record of this so sadly as was often the case she was probably buried with someone else but no record was made even though the baby had a name...so sad and i have to say i have always thought this was very bad practice

lyn

I agree Lyn. I suppose we must be grateful the baby was buried - it could have been so much worse.

She might have been born in Lordswood Maternity Hospital which was in Harborne. I was born there on 1952

Back