• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pathe News clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facinating is the word. I have recently discovered a News reel shot during WWII with a family member being interviewed while serving in the RAF. I have sent it away to have it transfered to DVD.

Facinating is the word. I have recently discovered a News reel shot during WWII with a family member being interviewed while serving in the RAF. I have sent it away to have it transfered to DVD.

Wow - what a find Degsy. Did you know the family member or are they long gone?
I discovered a census return from 1861 with the signature of one of my ancestors, as he was the ship's master - it sent shivers down my spine to see his handwriting - even better to see them speak!

Yeh... It's my uncle on my mother's side. He was RAF ground crew out in Autralia. Long gone unfortunately, but as you say, it sends shivers down the spine. I sent the film off to a Television company in London who are the only ones that can transfer the film safely with its sound track. I have not told my mother yet as the last time she saw the film was at a local cinema during WWII. She is 87 years old and I hope the shock dos'nt cause heart faliure.

That's a great clip Graham,well done, it must be nice to have your achievements so well documented. Aaaah 1967 - it only seems like yesterday,but the 'clipped' accent of the commentator is still quite noticeable. How everything changes - even the way we speak!

Thanks for posting this Seabird, they're great and seemingly something for everyone - I noticed videos on the following subjects:
Transport - Austin, Rover, Mini, Longbridge, Dunlop/Tyres, Cycling, motorbikes, trains, airplanes
Sport - Football, Cricket, Boxing, Tennis, Golf, Horses, motoring
Industry - Zip, Gun-proofing, Glass-making, Gas-Lamps, Toys, Fashion ("Blixies" being a fave)
Services - Police, Hospitals, Firemen, Cinemas
Military - Memorials, HMS Birmingham
Social - Wash-houses, Public Kitchens

...amongst many other subjects, and these just on a Birmingham theme (other searches possible as they say) - fantastic :handshake:

Thanks for posting this Seabird, they're great and seemingly something for everyone - I noticed videos on the following subjects:
Transport - Austin, Rover, Mini, Longbridge, Dunlop/Tyres, Cycling, motorbikes, trains, airplanes
Sport - Football, Cricket, Boxing, Tennis, Golf, Horses, motoring
Industry - Zip, Gun-proofing, Glass-making, Gas-Lamps, Toys, Fashion ("Blixies" being a fave)
Services - Police, Hospitals, Firemen, Cinemas
Military - Memorials, HMS Birmingham
Social - Wash-houses, Public Kitchens

...amongst many other subjects, and these just on a Birmingham theme (other searches possible as they say) - fantastic :handshake:

Maybe resident experts can update this thread with links to the news reels and where the places are now ?
Does anyone know where this public kitchen is ? - https://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=76707

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back