• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paternoster Row

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Paternoster Row as probably got the longest name for the smallest road in Brum.
I've only found one old map showing it, looks like it went to Moor Street?anyone know for certain.

Attachments

• City Paternoster Row 1.jpg
    City Paternoster Row 1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 43
Funny little road, I wonder what it was used for, what are the origins of the name,did anyone live there? where did it go to? Any point in it still being there? Perhaps some of our newer members may know the answers. Also, what's the point of double yellow lines? Nobody in their right mind would want to park there.

Terry

Last edited:
Paternoster, in Latin means our father, the first two words the Lord Prayer.

Its also a type of lift. The ones that move continually and you step on and of.

It seems to have appeared between 1873 and 1876. the only firm listed in it is
Cund Bros, lithographers & printers, who . I think, were on the south side between it and the railway line and also had an entrance on Moor St.
For a large part of its length it does seem to follow the railway line, but doesn’t seem to have been build at the same time as the line but later.
Mike

I remember this down the side of moor st station came out in Park St Quite Short But i think A.B. row was shorter.Dek

If you go to google earth ( not google maps) then there is a picture almost the same as frothblowers , but obviously taken at a different time as the tree is in leaf
mike

Attachments

• City Paternoster Row 2.jpg
    City Paternoster Row 2.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 31
As a youngster i was based in Moor St , We used to fix the electrics in all the firms that used the arches under the railway lines from Moor St to Elliot St (Guests Owned most of them) we used to always walk down Paternoster Row as it was the shortest route (when carrying a heavy tool box) they used this Row to barrow all their goods up to the market, that way they didn,t have to cross Digbeth. Dek

Funny little road, I wonder what it was used for, what are the origins of the name,did anyone live there? where did it go to? Any point in it still being there? Perhaps some of our newer members may know the answers. Also, what's the point of double yellow lines? Nobody in their right mind would want to park there.

Terry

According to one book I have on Birmingham street names, it probably takes its name from the one in London, as does Islington Row. Strange little place - if anyone did live there once, they would not have got much sleep!

Thanks for some info on this row which I have always been fascinated about since I first saw it around ten years ago and then saw it again last week.

....... they have blocked off Paternoster Row. That will disappear!

July 2011. The below is now all cut down, and is hoardings on Park Street.

Britain from Above has this excellent image from 1933 - I've highlighted Paternoster Row between the Red X's so you can see what was originally there. The building with the blue tag to the right is the Fox and Grapes......... Sad - lost in time....
paternoster.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if these views of Moor Street Station from a bus on Moot Street Queensway help with seeing Patternoster Row or not. With HS2 this view might be lost in the future.

very sad photo rob...i had to stand and watch the fox and grapes being demolished after many months of trying to save it....still at least i came away with a couple of bricks ..i was determined that if it had to go i was not walking away empty handed:D

lyn

Back