• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Past Holidays In Woolacombe

Hi Folks

There's another webcam of Instow that's 1 mile down road from home.

www.instow.net/webcam

Didn't go to Westward Ho, went to Appledore instead they have nice Hockin's Ice Cream and there's a super little Chocolate Shop lovely.

Enjoy Ray

Them upside down flower pots is a wonderful theatreis has some great little shows on, my daughter goes to Murder Mystery nights she says the are great.

I must admit Ilfracombe is poor place since the Railway closed down, it could be a wonderful holiday resort with bit of investment.

I wonder how many people go to Ilfarcombe and don't visit the Tunnels Beach?.

Ray

Oh its nice to know the 'flower pots' are theatres. My first visit to Ilfracombe was by train all the way from Brum, I've probably mentioned it before. Have to confess with all my visits there, I looked at the tunnels but never went through to the beach, but I did go on a paddle steamer trip to Lundy.
Phil:)

Quote-- I wonder how many people go to Ilfarcombe and don't visit the Tunnels Beach?.

If i remember right the tunnel was cut into the rock to allow Victorian swimming, protocol at that time demanded that bathers swam in different parts of the beach (no mixed bathing)
i,m trying to find a photo of myself standing on top of a dead " Portuguese Man a War jelly fish on Woolacomb beach when i was about 8-9 1951ish no luck so far it must have been 2ft high. Dek

We are going for a week early next year and hope to meet up with my late cousins daughter. My cousin and her husband moved there many years ago and never looked back. Jean.

Woolacombe Had its own ASTON VILLA SUPPORTERS CLUB of NORTH DEVON. They used to travel up to the games, I do not know if they still do?
I think but for the look of the "flower pots" the rest of Ilfracombe is like most North Devon resorts Fantastic ,each one has its own charm.
The Tunnel Beach "TUNNELS " were bored out of the cliff rock by Welsh Miners, Only ever visited once back in the late 1950s found them rather dull, just rock pools no beach as such?
I think the family will go on & on visiting Woolacombe ,as it is now part of our year, as it was for my Mom & Dad.
LOVE THE PLACE FOREVER, WILL BE PUT TO REST IN MOTEHOE ONE DAY.(Not soon I hope LOL)

Hi Phil & all you guys who love the WOOLACOMBE AREA this is the Shell Beach October 2010
51529_161408453884089_161408003884134_64799_966_t.jpg

But my video clip is not off utube its one of my own, so how do I get an address to post in that space????
THANKS FOR THE REPLY BYTHEWAY AIDAN.

Join utube. Register with user name and password. When registered you'll see a tab "Upload a video" On your own computer bring your video onto your desktop - I find this easiest and easily locatable.
Back on utube once you have click upload a video then it will present you with a browse button. Click this and you'll see all your documents on your pc. Find desktop and look for your video. Click onto this and magically this will appear in the utube bar. At the side of this there will be an upload button. Click and then you'll get the message that your video is uploading. You'll see progress from a bar as it it runs along. After about 5-10 imutes or so you'll get a message that your video has successfully uploaded. It will take a few minutes to process and then hey presto your video is up on utube. Click on it and you'll note the url in the top browser bar. Copy this and paste it into a message on this page. You'll see it's a blue coloured live link. When peple read your message "Hey look at this video!" (example!!) then they will be directed to utube and straight to your video. Anne

I know this is not Woolacombe but we were on holiday in woolacombe when we visited Ilfracombe for a dayout thought Oldmohawk may like the view of the theater (cooling Towers on te right)
ILFRACOMBE_2007.jpg

Hi Baron,
I like Ilfra but last time I was there it looked slightly run down - probably because I had not got my rose tinted specs on.
You've probably visited the place near Woolacombe in the 2003 pic below - had my first teenage 'no parent' hol there, such a very long time ago. I've posted pics of that old hol in this thread.
oldmohawk...:)
Near_Woolacombe.jpg

Last edited:
We didn't make it this year Keith as we visited Anglesey but my late cousin's daughter is going to sort us a dog friendly cottage for sometime in the spring. Jean.

Hi Keith,
The Woolacombe web cam was showing sunshine at 5.00pm today. 19th July.
woolacombe.JPG

Phil...:)

Last edited:
Hi Folks

Sun is still shining here in North Devon, it's been a wonderful day today.

Nicer still when you live down here.

Thought you might like to look at this webcam site https://www.devonguide.com/webcams/

Sitting out in the garden can see Saunton Sands Hotel over there on the hill.

Wish you were here Ray

Back