• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Past Holidays In Woolacombe

Found the photo I have been looking for of the view from my late cousins garden. A picture of her [Beatie] with my late mom. Jean. She lived at Eastaway cottage Mortehoe. Jean.

lovely photo jean and what a stunning view from the garden. thanks for sharing it with us lyn:)

Hi, spent many a happy hour on the beach just below that field in ROCKHAM BAY, happy happy memories of Oct; 4th 1995 in the sea, the sun as warm as early June day.
May have a Photo if I can find.
THANKS for the Pic.

Hi Baron can't find a photo of the cottage [guest house] but it was in between the lighthouse and the caravan park. Don't suppose you have one tucked away somewhere?. Thanks for the invite. Jean.

JEAN G G, This is the place! & this is some of my crew on Coomsgate Beach this June.
Had so many happy days as kids with my mom & dad, then my girlfreind later to be my wife, our children, now the grandchildren. You could say Woolacombe is our second Home (I wish it was Our first)
THE BARON (ASTON)

JEAN G G, This is the place! & this is some of my crew on Coomsgate Beach this June.
Had so many happy days as kids with my mom & dad, then my girlfreind later to be my wife, our children, now the grandchildren. You could say Woolacombe is our second Home (I wish it was Our first)
THE BARON (ASTON)

There is no reason (i wish it was our first) go for it i left New Osscot over three years ago....sold up and was gone in 8 weeks:)Mau-reece

Mossy, To many Bham ties now. the time to have up & gone would have been before the kids were born. but then "MY BE WE WOULD NOT HAVE HAD SUCH GREAT! GRANCHILDREN"
OR even some where nice togo for our Hols LOL
You know the old saying about the grass being greener.

By the way the small guy in the foreground of my beach pic in our young granson Nathan, taking the mick out of his unsuspecting Nan (the blonde lady in the middle) by acting like he was an old person.
He is the family joker.

Hi G G jean, this is us in the sea 4th Oct 1996 ROCKHAM BAY Beach.We were camping at TWITCHEN HOUSE.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Thanks for that no wonder Beat and Bob left Coventry to live there. Still can't find the photo's of Eastaway cottage. Bye. Jean.

My sister and her gentleman friend accompanied us over to France. The first holiday we have all spent together. We had a great time. She is 8 years older than me and I suppose I've always been considered as the irritating little sister stemming from our very youinger years. However we have been the best of friends for many years but...never spent a holiday period together. I couldn't have been too bad as three weeks after we all arrived back in England, my sister asked me if I fancied a four day break in...WOOLACOMBE!!!! The first time I've been on a coach holiday.
I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the break. The views from our hotel window are those seen on the site. But...the best thing of all was I was in a group of people originating from my roots. I loved listening to the Birmingham and West Brom dialects, and I felt "back at home." The group were so happy and were a scream and I'd never laughed so much for a long time. I have been away for than half my life. Woolacmbe was my "back home" experience!
I liked Woolacombe very much - I think I have bypassed it on my way to other places at odd times. The sand sculptoring comp was on when we were there.We toured around visiting the very pretty villages of Lynmouth and Linton I vaguely remember the dreadful flooding way back in the 50's, you'd never guess that awful tragedy today. My sister and I were in Woolacombe August this year.

A gang of us lads went down to Woolacombe in the early 70's and worked in the Hotels. Narracott, Woolacombe Bay, The Sands, The Morethoe, Idle rock, Red Barn and the Puttsbourgh Sands. We would do the season and either come back to Brum or stay in winter- lets in Ilfracombe, Croyde or Brougnton. We used to have a ball and our mates used to come down from Brum Friday night till Sunday and stop with us in the staff quarters.I did 4 years of that and ended up going to Morrocco to sort myself out!!!!! And came back and went to Guernsey...Brilliant days and nights and Brilliant people ,Was you in Woolacombe from 72 till 76???

Woolacombe was our favourite holiday spot, went there from 1972 to as recent as 2003. Know all the places you mention, perhaps you served us in the Red Barn. Got lots of photos. You certainly get around to some places !
:)

Last edited:
Roy c, This is WOOLACOMBE 2008 .We try to go at least once a year, some times may be for just a week.(Have done from the late 50s, Now with the grankids)LOVE THE PLACE.
This pic taken June 2008, RED BARN mid pic, NARRACOTT on the left, Spent our Honeymoon at the Coombe's just up the road from the Narracott way back in 1962.

I hope it hasn't changed much, I rememeber the Coombes hotel, we used to play football against them on the beach,I think most of them were "scousers". Needless to say we thrashed them all the time..Ha Ha . Do you remember the "Marisco" disco under the Woolacome Bay Hotel? That was a place where all the "locals" from Barnstable and the out lying areas used to come down in coaches on a Friday and Saturday night. We had quite a few of them stop in our "Staff quarters" when they missed their coaches!!!!!! A lot of the girls that we went down with in the seventies stayed on and most of them live in Ilfracombe now probably married to locals and have got 30 year old children now. I dont keep in touch but I have a friend who still goes down and relives the "Heady" days of the 70's that we enjoyed. I did once get dragged out by the tide at Barricane beach and couldn't get back in (To drunk on Natural Dry Cider "Natch") but when I stopped panicing I managed to get on the rocks. It was always a bit "Hairy" with the tides around there....Happy Days......Forgot to mention a friend who I used to work with in the Narracott took over running Twitchen Camp site, I think he might still be running it now, His name was Colin Ebsworth (A Scouser) Any body stopped there over the last few years?

Roy was that the site next to the lighthouse only my cousins cottage was in between?. Jean.

I dont think so but my memory is playing tricks on me of where it actually was....Some one will know////

WHEN WE FIRST WENT TO TWITCHEN HOUSE CARAVAN PARK A MR PELLIN RAN IT THAT WAS BACK IN THE 50s.
This is the house June 2008, a far larger complex now, it takes in these other Parks EASTWELL,WOOLACOMBE BAY & GOLDEN COAST PARKS.

Back