• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

I'm having a problem locating this image of "Cole Holloway" Bartley Green as I can find no other reference to it. It's one of Sir Benjamin Stone's photos so obviously it dates before his death in 1914. I'm beginning to think it must be a forerunner of the Holloway that ran from Merritts Hill down to Merritts Brook Lane Northfield. I walked up and down there many a time with my brother in law for a drink at the Highlander pub at the top of the hill when my sister lived in Vinyard Road.

Can anybody confirm this or even refute the idea, because I really haven't a clue.

View attachment 124637

It's named as Cole Holloway, off Cromwell Lane. Now just a paved pathway through to Woodcock Lane.

When I worked for Bill Bloye the sculptor, we did sign painting for the Railway time table's in a place under then tracks somewhere, Cold dank place that I hated, had to make the tea for the workers. Hand painted the Time tables in red and blue. Wonder if any photos of those still around? This was in the 1950s

With regard to Shaw's Passage - think its been mentioned on here before but Shaw’s Passage came into being c1888 and took its name from Henry & Frank Shaw’s Nail factory which was actually the south side of the Moor Street line. A mate of mine runs Motor-mech the garage at the west end of the passage so I'm a frequent visitor! Those Graffiti'ed back walls have made up many a Court/Industrial unit over the years.....

A few names that have long gone, but were certainly around in the 1770s (from Sketchley’s Directory of Birmingham):

Butts (maybe renamed ? - it had 79 houses)
Cabbage Row (quite a small row with only 8 houses)
Candlestick Alley (13 houses)
Cracknells Yard (only 8 houses)
Dog Yard (a mere 5 houses)
Green-Tree Yard (another with just 5 houses)
Horse-Shoe Yard (just 4 houses)
Over the Shamble (16 houses - interesting name)

I expect many of these, if not all were absorbed into other streets as Birmingham expanded. No idea where these were located in the centre of Birmingham. Viv.

A few names that have long gone, but were certainly around in the 1770s (from Sketchley’s Directory of Birmingham):

I expect many of these, if not all were absorbed into other streets as Birmingham expanded. No idea where these were located in the centre of Birmingham. Viv.

Just one mention in 1865 of a Cabbage Row, Stewart Street. Not mentioned in Kelly’s of 1868 where Stewart Street is listed as Spring Hill to Cope Street.

Have gone through all the entries in the 1851 and 1861 censuses and there is no mention of a Cabbage Row.

Have gone through all the entries in the 1851 and 1861 censuses and there is no mention of a Cabbage Row.

It is unlikely that any of the names on the list can be tracked. The Post in 1869 makes a list including the ones mentioned... "some of the mere names of the streets are curious now, as the names have been changed, or the streets themselves have disappeared."

There is another Dog yard, in Adams St (See Birm post 21.2.1874). There is also a Dog Tavern in the 1871 census in Adams St, at no 54. however numbering was changed shortly after and I have not been able to identify exact position of the then no 54

There was a Horse shoe yard off St Martins Lane between nos 3, and 4, next to the Horse shoe pub. It looks like it was about half way between Jamaica Row and Moat lane, and seems to have disappeared soon after 1855.

Dennis fantastic photo. At the top of Fox st ran Buck st , i have been trying to locate a photo of Buck st for a few years your picture is the nearest ive seen so far.
Hello - I have this photo of Buck Street, is it the same one you are looking for. regards Elaine

Attachments

• DB - Buck Street Digbeth Birmingham - The Sea Horse  Half way down on the right side, It is no...jpg
    DB - Buck Street Digbeth Birmingham - The Sea Horse Half way down on the right side, It is no...jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 36

fascinating names viv...reminds me of one i found while researching my neck o the woods some years back called vampire yard which was at the back of the vampire pub newtown...scary or what :eek::eek:

Yes I know this in Dale End, but in the first shot to the left of E.H.James (1906) there is an obvious to die for Alleyway with a sign I cannot read. Then in the shot after Hitler's lads had rearranged it (1918), and it was rebuilt, the alleyway is a much wider looking roadway whose name I still can't read....help me please...is the former one for the collection, or both perhaps?
Hello, on the map I have it show that it was called Henn's Walk the big building next to E H James looks like St Peters Church and directly opposite Henn's Walk on the other side of the road is Rope Walk - regards Elaine

This one has always puzzled me. An old pub of my youth, THE TALBOT in Digbeth High Street or Moat Row, depending which entrance you used. It is in a fairly wide looking passage, as you can see from the map, but it I can't recall that cut through ever having a name? Mike? The original Talbot pub occupied the site in 1785. Looks by architecture (well what's left of the bottom half after Hitler's bombers knocked out the top two floors in 1941) to be rebuilt in the mid 1800s. Closed in the 70s I think.

View attachment 81094 View attachment 81095
This was my Grandfather Pub, he was here up 1947 when he passed away, his name was Thomas William Gibson.

Found this picture of the front of House - Talbot Inn, Moat Lane. Plus a picture of another old pub the Bell in the oft mentioned Phillips Street.

View attachment 81219 View attachment 81218
I have included another photo of The Talbot, this is the pub my Grandfather Had, until he passed away in 1947, His name was Thomas William Gibson, it is not a very good photo, but this photo is of the front of the Public House, the one on here is the back of the public house. - regards Elaine.

Attachments

• The Talbot Public House 24 Moat Lane Digbeth Birmingham.jpg
    The Talbot Public House 24 Moat Lane Digbeth Birmingham.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
Back