• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

This is a puzzler for dek et al. This lovely evocative shot of Henry Street, Nechells, shows on the left side an opening with a Street sign I can't quite read. But from the legend on the photo, if THAT is the beginning of Francis Street, then it looks to be even narrower than our back entry, never mind a Street! Is it me? Would it qualify for a backstreet/alley? Anyway, its a good excuse to show this lovely photo with so many reminders of my childhood, just out of focus days...

Francis St 1953.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Dennis never seen this one before taken from the top of the hill with Ashted Row to your back certainly Francis St it was a narrow St. next one down would be Heanage St I never went down Henry St that often I always preferred to walk down Willis St the reason being my first love lived there and the shops were nicer not that I had anything to spend. Dek

Dennis

I used to live in Francis St and it was just about wide enough for a lorry to pass down, it was no different to most of the other streets in the area. it ran from Windsor St to Little Francis st and at that point on the photo it was crossing Henry St. The building with the pillars was St James's Sunday school and was on the corner of Francis St,which for some reason was demolished quite a while before the rest of the street. We used to go there on a Sunday for a dinner of the old "bring your own plate and spoon" type. Probably the only decent meal we got all week if we weren't at school.

Phil

Hi Dennis another blast from my past after we moved from Dymoke St we lived on Gt Lister St... I walked Henry St every day when doing my paper round for Mr Harbon, who's shop at that time was on Gt Lister St close to 'The Soldiers' Fruit and veg shop and almost opposite St mat's church. I agree the little street is Francis street, then Heneage St and then Lupin St before you got to Great Lister St and crossed to 'The Old Nelson' pub on the corner of Gt Lister and Rupert St and the Gas Works. Happy posting guys...!

An old atmospheric shot of a snickets in Brearley Street, and some similar ones in nearby Hospital Street. I have relatives who used to live in both these Streets around that period at the turn of the Century or before, and all with BIG families. Very humbling when I hear of modern folks that 'need' five bedroomed houses to cope with their broods....

Brearley St Alley.jpgHospital St Alleys and courts.jpg

Last edited:
SEYMOUR STREET a narrow street connecting Albert Street and Masshouse Lane, now gone. Not a good rep but the only one I could find. Used to walk it regularly as a throughcut from the Car Park in Masshouse Circus to Marks & Sparks etc. Named after Edward Seymour, 17th Duke of Somerset (J.Mckenna) allegedly. Wonder if anybody ever told him and what he did for Brum to deserve it? ?

Seymour St 1950.jpg

Last edited:
I tell you what this thread has not managed to come up with yet that I'd like to see. First of all Larches Passage that ran from Highgate Rd to Larches St Sparkbrook. Then Louise Lorne Rd Moseley, followed by the unnamed passages that ran alongside the railway from Lime Grove to Runcorn Rd in Balsall Heath.

I think of the three there is only Louise Lorne Rd left now, but that is nothing like it used to be, and I could get a copy of that off Google Earth any time I wanted to. So if anybody can help I would be grateful as all three of these places were part of my growing up.

Phil

Hi Dennis another blast from my past after we moved from Dymoke St we lived on Gt Lister St... I walked Henry St every day when doing my paper round for Mr Harbon, who's shop at that time was on Gt Lister St close to 'The Soldiers' Fruit and veg shop and almost opposite St mat's church. I agree the little street is Francis street, then Heneage St and then Lupin St before you got to Great Lister St and crossed to 'The Old Nelson' pub on the corner of Gt Lister and Rupert St and the Gas Works. Happy posting guys...!

We must have walked in each other's footsteps, those were the days.

Eaton cycle works on post 296 was at 18 Brearley st, so the house presumably was no 16

For the Gosta Green crowd, PENN STREET/GOPSALL STREET. Or rather the old pub that looks so sad now...another one bites the dust?

Penn Street Eagle & Bull Gopsall Street.jpgs.jpgPenn St Moby Dicks.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a few photos on Flickr of passages - such as ones off New Street

This one is next to Lloyds TSB on New Street

Service road to the right of Lloyds TSB, New Street, Birmingham - passage by ell brown, on Flickr

warning sign

Warning - This passage must be kept free of obstruction at all times - sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Next up Fire Office Passage (next to Blue Arrow off New Street)

Fire Office Passage (Also known as Insurance Passage) by ell brown, on Flickr

accompaning road sign - also known as Insurance Passage

Fire Office Passage (Also known as Insurance Passage) - Road sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Dennis
The entrance to the court in post 296 is behind no 16 (in red), but is not court 16 , whatever the caption says. although there was apparently a court when the picture was taken , and an open space is shown on the map c 1913, when the courts were numbered there was no court there, and this area was between courts 20 and 22 on the 1889 map (below) . Presumably some buildings (in blue)were demolished between these times.

She also got a nice shot of SAND STREET, also in the old Gun Quarter - St Chads is easily identifiable in the background. The Pub looks cool too...

Sand Street PN.jpg Sand St  Green Man Pub.jpg

Last edited:
And one culled from another site that I passed most days on way to school in Camp hill, and still do on my rat run to Town - STRATFORD STREET NORTH and one of it's Yards. Both courtesy of Phyllis Nicklin again.

Stratford Street North.jpg Stratford Street North 2.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis

I'll tell you what I remember most about Stratford St North and the next street to it Sampson Rd North and that is they must have been among the last streets in Birmingham to retain the old stone sets road surface. I remember when going to Adderley St gasworks for a bag of coke on the way back after stopping at the café on the corner we always kept to the pavement or our barrow would have been shaken apart. I can remember driving down there in a lorry years after was no picnic either.

Phil

Nice map of the St Mary's Row, Sand Street, Bath Street area turn of the century, courtesy of David Fowler. Thanks Dave.

Gun Quarter map 1890.jpg

Last edited:
Between the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and the Central Library is Congreve Passage.

Towards Chamberlain Square

Paradise Place and Congreve Passage by ell brown, on Flickr

Towards Great Charles Street Queensway

Birmingham Central Library from Congreve Passage - link bridge by ell brown, on Flickr

Road sign

Congreve Passage - road sign by ell brown, on Flickr

Thanks Elliot, a most welcome addition to the collection. I keep meaning to walk down Congreve Passage to see what's there, but you've saved me the trouble. Brilliant. Thanks again. What about Royal Mail street and round there?

Dennis

I used to live in Francis St and it was just about wide enough for a lorry to pass down, it was no different to most of the other streets in the area. it ran from Windsor St to Little Francis st and at that point on the photo it was crossing Henry St. The building with the pillars was St James's Sunday school and was on the corner of Francis St,which for some reason was demolished quite a while before the rest of the street. We used to go there on a Sunday for a dinner of the old "bring your own plate and spoon" type. Probably the only decent meal we got all week if we weren't at school.

Phil

Well Phil, do you have any info on this phenomenon then, seen as how you were a resident? Seemingly a Pub in Francis Street, owned by a lady Elizabeth Mullins? yet showing no name, plus the iconic Aspidistra and a bottle of Cape Ale in the front window? Hilarious. What gives my old friend?

Francis Street Pub.jpg

Last edited:
I tell you what this thread has not managed to come up with yet that I'd like to see. First of all Larches Passage that ran from Highgate Rd to Larches St Sparkbrook. Then Louise Lorne Rd Moseley, followed by the unnamed passages that ran alongside the railway from Lime Grove to Runcorn Rd in Balsall Heath.

I think of the three there is only Louise Lorne Rd left now, but that is nothing like it used to be, and I could get a copy of that off Google Earth any time I wanted to. So if anybody can help I would be grateful as all three of these places were part of my growing up.

Phil

I'm giving it my best shot Phil, but meanwhile here is a near miss just round the corner from Larches Street, Turner Street. Any memories?

Turner street sparkbrook 1968.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis
If you look closely at the sign above the door (its 187 Francis St by the way), it says licence is for consumaption off the premises, so it is an off licence
mike

Dennis

I already have the photos of the outdoor in Francis St, which was one shop, an alley and a house away from the house I lived in. I also have the photo of Turner St St, but thanks all the same. I have a photo of Mike's that shows the Highgate Rd end of Larches Passage with Carl Chinn's dads bookies shop on the corner.

Phil

Here is a photo from this forum which must be the corner of St Mary's Row and Loveday St. You can recognise the second building up on the right, possibly, in Nicklins photo...number of windows/arched entrance etc. The church can be seen and buildings in what was park/churchyard on the left with some writing to identify. I am not sure what the shed in the road is...maybe a shelter for tram passengers...if those are tram lines. The maps do not show tram lines there. Thie date is reportedly 1900.

See picture next post. #421

Back