• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parsons

B

byersmom

Would anyone have any information on, or tell me where I could find out about the following people: Arthur Vorley Parsons and his wife, Janet May Parsons who lived in Birmingham from about 1937 to 1959 at 153 Russell Road, Moseley.
Kenneth Owen Parsons, who was a doctor, and lived at 149 Moor Green Lane - around the same time frame.
Arthur Vorley Parsons was born in Swansea in 1896, Janet May was born in 1890 in Islington. Arthur moved to St. Austell , Cornwall around 1960 and died there in 1974. His brother, Kenneth was born in 1898 and died in Penlee, Truro, Cornwall in 1986. I do not know what happened to Janet May as I have not been able to find a death for her. Arthur was her third husband, so maybe she remarried. Janet May was my father's first wife - the were married in 1918 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
I will keep my fingers crossed that someone may be able to help me.
Thanks

Bev
Canada

Was Janet May originally a Thomson then? That's the only one I can find from your details.
She would have been 84 in 1974 when Arthur died, so unless they divorced significantly earlier it is most unlikely she married again.

Kenneth Owen Parsons was born 1st quarter 1898 in Swansea, vol 11a page 1006 for the registry entry. There is a Kenneth O Parsons marriage to Dora V Putnam 2nd quarter 1929 in Barnet, vol 3a page 1045 - may be the same chap.
As I couldn't find a birth for Dora V Putnam, I checked to see if she had married before - and found, in 1910, a marriage (also in Barnet) for Dora V Parsons to Frederick Putnam. (3rd quarter 1910 Barnet vol 3a page 861).
Her birth is registered as: Dora Vorley Parsons, 1st quarter 1889, Kensington, vol 1a page 159.
So does this mean that Arthur Vorley Parsons' brother Kenneth Owen Parsons married Dora Vorley Parsons?
It certainly has confused me!!

Hello Lloyd
Thank you for your reply. Yes Janet May was Janet May Thomson . She came to Canada and in 1912 married Walter Haslam - she then married my father in 1918, and finally Arthur Parsons in 1924. I think she was inclined to stretch the truth a bit, if not a complete liar. I have copies of all three of her marriage certificates in which she states she was born in Scotland - she was born in England. On the one to Parsons she shows her father as SIr John Andrew Thomson , a doctor and with an MBE - both false.
I had found Kenneth Parsons marriage, and like yourself could not find a birth for Dora V. Putnam - are you saying she was born Dora Vorley Parsons? That is confusing. I have search the death records right up 1984 and have not found a death for Janet May Parsons. I guess I will now have to search for a marriage, if she married under the name of Parsons (all three of her marriages in Canada were under the name of Janet May Thomson - but that is another story lol)

Bev

Hello again Lloyd

I did a bit of research and found that Thomas Postlethwaite Parsons married a Caroline Vorley in 1857 in Westbury.
Their sons were Charles V, Harry V, Robert T, and Tom P.(b.1864) - Tom P. was the father of Arthur and Kenneth, so that is where Arthur got his second name. At the same time Thomas and Caroline were married there was a Mary Ann Vorley who married Owen Smith - maybe that is where Kenneth got his second name. On the 1881 census Thomas P. Parsons is staying with Owen Smith and Mary A. in Westury, and shown as nephew) I will have to look further into this.

Bev

Back