• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parry ancestors

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Hi folk, as usual trying to do some research for a friend. Need your help if possible, got back as far as I can. So trying to find prove the birth of Elijah Parry. Have marriage cert, married 1839 in The Parish of Bham. Married Ruth Bracey. He is Carriage maker, father Thomas Parry, Brazier. Both illiterate as x Mark on cert. Witnesses also illiterate, not family. Living in Bishopgate which is removed. Replaced with Communication Row. Both still exist. So trying to trace Elijahs birth abt 1816 and birth place also his father Joseph. So atm stuck, many thanks. Keeps me sane, just about....

According to the 1851, 61 and 81 census returns he was born about 1817 in Birmingham.

in 1851and 1861 he was a Carriage Lamp Manufacturer
In 1881 he was a widow and a Tin Man

Can't find any baptisms for an Elijah with a father Joseph. Lots for children of Elijah and Ruth

bit confused...is elijahs father thomas or joseph...on elijahs marr cert you say his fathers name is thomas but you are also searching for his father joseph...maybe i have missunderstood your post

lyn

Something doesn't seem quite right. Birthplace or father ?

There doesn't appear to be a baptism for Elijah or any other Parry with father Joseph in Bham around that time.

Apart from Elijah's there are 3 other marriages for Parry (Mary, Fanny & Elizabeth) with father listed as Joseph late 1830s, early 1840s. Fanny & Elizabeth were born in Stoke Prior. Do any other details from their marriages match?

bit confused...is elijahs father thomas or joseph...on elijahs marr cert you say his fathers name is thomas but you are also searching for his father joseph...maybe i have missunderstood your post

lyn
Hi Lyn how are you doing. Nice to see you again. Elijahs father is definitely Joseph Parry. My mistake, hadn't got specs on. Was looking into another relatives ancestors. He was Thomas Connelly, but even harder as born in Kinsale, County Cork 1881. Not brilliant with Irish ancestry. Still a novice, but it's Joseph Parry. Suppose them all being ileterate does not help. Regards, Keith.

Hi Lyn how are you doing. Nice to see you again. Elijahs father is definitely Joseph Parry. My mistake, hadn't got specs on. Was looking into another relatives ancestors. He was Thomas Connelly, but even harder as born in Kinsale, County Cork 1881. Not brilliant with Irish ancestry. Still a novice, but it's Joseph Parry. Suppose them all being ileterate does not help. Regards, Keith.
hi keith i am fine thank you...so to confirm... you are looking for elijah parrys bapt born abt 1816 in birmingham and on his marr cert 1839 birm it gives his father as joseph parry ?

lyn

According to the 1851, 61 and 81 census returns he was born about 1817 in Birmingham.

in 1851and 1861 he was a Carriage Lamp Manufacturer
In 1881 he was a widow and a Tin Man

Can't find any baptisms for an Elijah with a father Joseph. Lots for children of Elijah and Ruth
Many thanks have got the same Sue. Thnx, Keith

hi keith i am fine thank you...so to confirm... you are looking for elijah parrys bapt born abt 1816 in birmingham and on his marr cert 1839 birm it gives his father as joseph parry ?

lyn
Yes, correct, thnx. Looking for proof of birth and his father, Joseph's birth/marriage.

So Elijah birth abt 1816 according to censuses. Just states full age on his marriage cert.
I was confused as Thomas is another story. Definitely Joseph on cert as Elijas father. All censuses state Elijah born in Brum. Maybe wrong. Thanks

Something doesn't seem quite right. Birthplace or father ?

There doesn't appear to be a baptism for Elijah or any other Parry with father Joseph in Bham around that time.

Apart from Elijah's there are 3 other marriages for Parry (Mary, Fanny & Elizabeth) with father listed as Joseph late 1830s, early 1840s. Fanny & Elizabeth were born in Stoke Prior. Do any other details from their marriages match?
I only have got marriage cert for Elijah. Father, Joseph and censuses state Elijah born in Brum. Stoke Prior is Bromsgrove way, so maybe your correct. Would have thought if so Joseph would be born abt 1790 to1797 ish? Thank you.

Hi folk, as usual trying to do some research for a friend. Need your help if possible, got back as far as I can. So trying to find prove the birth of Elijah Parry. Have marriage cert, married 1839 in The Parish of Bham. Married Ruth Bracey. He is Carriage maker, father Thomas Parry, Brazier. Both illiterate as x Mark on cert. Witnesses also illiterate, not family. Living in Bishopgate which is removed. Replaced with Communication Row. Both still exist. So trying to trace Elijahs birth abt 1816 and birth place also his father Joseph. So atm stuck, many thanks. Keeps me sane, just about....
Hello, Elijah Parry married Ruth Bracey in 1839; Elijah was a Carriage Lamp manufacturer. His father Joseph was a Brazier.
Elijah's father Joseph, married Pheobe Handle in 1808 at the parish church, Edgbaston, which would be St Bartholomew's church. Their son, Elijah was born in 1817. Joseph was born in 1788. Hope that this is helpful. Anthea.

Joseph Parry baptised 8th September 1788 St Martins, parents Thomas and Catherine

Thomas Parry, married Catherine Spurrier , 9th january 1783 St Martins.

other children baptised St Martins , father Thomas Parry mother Catherine
Ann , August 1786 , died 1787
Jane 1785
Benjamin 1790.

Hello, Elijah Parry married Ruth Bracey in 1839; Elijah was a Carriage Lamp manufacturer. His father Joseph was a Brazier.
Elijah's father Joseph, married Pheobe Handle in 1808 at the parish church, Edgbaston, which would be St Bartholomew's church. Their son, Elijah was born in 1817. Joseph was born in 1788. Hope that this is helpful. Anthea.
Anthea, hi, hope you are well as can be. Many thanks for your kind help and research. Carnt thank you enough, lucky to have such a great site and people who help. Thank you, Keith.

Joseph Parry baptised 8th September 1788 St Martins, parents Thomas and Catherine

Thomas Parry, married Catherine Spurrier , 9th january 1783 St Martins.

other children baptised St Martins , father Thomas Parry mother Catherine
Ann , August 1786 , died 1787
Jane 1785
Benjamin 1790.
Many thanks Albert a, much appreciated. I always think I've come to a dead end. Always someone willing to help on here. Lucky to have such a great site. Still learning, many thanks, Keith.

Back