• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament street

gingerjon

master brummie
Parliament Street was a mixture of different houses and shops we had terrace housing two storey and a block of two courts that were back to back houses three storeys high top was the attic below the main bedroom and below that a small living room and a very small kitchen and below this was the coal cellar each court shared two toilets a brewhouse and the miskin shed,
the people were a mixed bunch you had the better offs lived in the posher houses these all had there own toilets and two bedrooms and a box room (small bedroom) we had three huckster shops a second hand shop owned by Kate Baker a wool and needle shop and a hire business cart's and basket carriages the owner was Mr Jennings and not forgetting the pigeon shop owned by Mr Stirks Parliament street was between Park Lane and Webster Street with Burlington Street running off the middle of the street
a place were we enjoyed while we were kids never realising what poverty was till later in life we had some happy times there

R

Rod

Parliment Street was the last street on my paper round, so I quite liked it!! especially on Sundays, the bag used to hurt my shoulder, with all those extra papers, no trolleys for us!!

H

hmld

:?
I was in receipt of the sag factor from the satchel of big heavy bundles of printed matter though I do not recall trolleys. In retrospect it is basic common sense simple logic - especially for children. But then the labour movement has invariably been apologetically backwards in coming forward [eg reducing the working week and working year].
This last week I was taken aback when I mentioned to a woman, soon to retire teacher specializing with handicapped and disabled, the vast amount of (read: trillions of pounds sterling) money made off the backs of women - and of course children, even when Winston Chruchill was pontificating fluffed up glands and of course Kaiser Wilhelm was cousin in the current cabal. Terribly sad shame and immensity of waste.

I too remember Parliament Street. The main reason being not the socioeconomical profile but the august name. As an wee strap of a lad I figured it must have been something mighty specially important. That was way before I learnt how dastardly the Establishment core actually is in terms of fraud and much else.

The class (economic) structure is as though a caste system. How is it in the same municipal block a family with their kinder can have an in-house lavatory and the people and arms' reach yonder resort to the communal toilet in the yard?

It is sometimes salient to almost pinch one's self to remind - yet such need be done for the children today - the Industrial Revolution is but 300 years extant. Winston Churchill ordered the army to shoot to kill (and did many) striking coal miners in (was it?) 1913. When in 1909 - and I have a monochrome plate - he inspected military manoeuvers with the Kaiser.

All that laudatory of those fine folks.

The Birmingham and Evening Mail, Sports Argus, Sunday Mercury was and is a fascist enterprise. I was a personal friend of one of the daughters of the ownership - and she was a diammetric opposite of fascistic. However I sensed the brutality of bigotry. Their cockamamie ideology had not the remotest basis in rational economics. Indeed it was obscurantist to the extent of nihilism.

The glossy (Saturday: SKETCH) weekly - alum impregnated paper - was heavy by the coir as 25 fold. However it was not widely read. Perhaps Rod remembers the jumbo bumper issues for such as the jubillees.... The pink Sports Argus was a licence to print dough. To this day the abuse of oligopoly by that clique is astounding. Godfrey Winn - a confirmed batchelor who resided with his moma, as did Encoch Powell - did a regular gossip column in the Mail. Properly stuck up then one would subscribe of The Post?

Considering Birmngham is part birthplace and cradle of the Industrial Revolution then the newspaper history of recent in the modern era is utterly abysmal.

The Birmingham Planet (Woodrow Wyatt - another first class crank) was neat 'n' nifty. Much promise but obstuse to the extent of incredulity apathy abolished it. For the price of a half pint of mild
:?

M

mazbeth

We lived in 49 Parliament St till '69. With 2 bedrooms and a box room.
I didn't realise the ones with an outside loo of their own were the posher ones  ;D

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
I know nothing about Parliament Street but would just like to comment how nice it is when new members spot these threads and revive them. Keeping all the memories alive is what the site is about. Thanks mazbeth. O0

M

mazbeth

I just thought I would post this of my mom, Elsie, (from 49 Parliament St.) when she married my dad, John, in 1956, at Park Lane Gospel Hall.
Admin/Moderators...if this is not appropriate here, or taking up too much room, please feel free to delete it. :)

SuBee

master brummie
Its a lovely Pic.....I will show my In-laws when they come round.........My father in laws family lived in Parliment St. :)

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
Lovely photo Maz. We were married in '57, I recognise the brocade frock and the veil and headdress. :)

Ask your mom if the cups held coffee, or tea!!