• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament Street Aston

Just re-reading this thread, I had a friend June Holmes who lived at No.20 so No.18 was next door, certainly not a shop, just one of a row of terraced houses, but not back to backs, they had their own back garden.

hi lynn ;
I Do not surpose ypou have any think of a mr jennings in parliment street he was a maker and hirer of hand carts in parliment street
as my fathers mother married mr jenning before remarrying to another man i beleive he dealt with batterys as qwell it may have been around number 6 parliment street and he would have been operating from a yard best wishes alan;;
Brummie nick your right ... Stirkes's was on the corner of Parliament and Burlington Street.
hi folks as far as i know apart from personal ones these are the first photos of parliament st to be seen on this forum...the library came up trumps yesterday...dated 1967...on pic 1 you can clearly see the number 2 on the door..pic 2 i have no idea what the numbering is or which side of the road the houses are on but hopefully some of our members who knew this street well can help us out..on pic make out 2 ladies talking..also 2 children at the bedroom window on the right...hope they are ok as its not very easy taking photos of photos lol..click on the pics twice to enlarge..

lyn
Hi Lyn,

i lived at 7 Parliament Street, the Newtons lived next door at no 5, the Turners lived at no 11 and John Houghton back of no 15.
My uncle's bicycle shop was Keights at 143 Park Lane and another uncle was the newsagents Burtons at 141 Park Lane.
All the pictures of this area are fantastic but still have the appetite to see new ones.

John
[/QUOTE
thanks for your memories of the street edd it all makes good reading and if anyone else who lived in parliament st have any photo we would love to see them as they are very hard to find...

cheers

lyn
Great photo's ....I not seen either before, the second photo is taken from Upper Webster Street end of Parliament street, with the even number house's being shown......the first photo shows the corner of Park Lane and Parliament Street, I think the family living in the first house in Parliament street was named Mountford, Mountjoy, something along those lines, and before it was converted into a house it was a shop, the last tenant was Roly Morris who use to sell lino, this was in the late 1950's and early 1960's.......
Lyn, just for clarification there were no pubs in Parliament Street. The Clarendon Arms (my mom & dad's local) was on the corner of Clarendon Street and Upper Webster Street.
My nan lived at 23 Parliament St, I spent a lot of time there as a child, playing football against the green gates of Burlington St School, I also have some photos that I can't upload as file is too large

The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......
She lived at no 55 right on the corner of upper webster street.dont think it was the posh end.my dad would drive up parliamdnt street towards park lane and i can remember a big sign either players please or man with big feet.im going back 50 years so csn just remember that
Nii
hi folks..here is another one parliament st on the right...sirks pigeon shop on the corner..the entry on the far right is where john houghton lived at back of 15 i think...brummy lad is your no 7 on this photo

lyn
hi folks..here is another one parliament st on the right...sirks pigeon shop on the corner..the entry on the far right is where john houghton lived at back of 15 i think...brummy lad is your no 7 on this photo

lyn
The young man in this picture is named Michael Jones lived at number 25 next door to my nan

Absolutely and utterly brilliant, we have waited so long for Parliament Street images (we knew they were out there somewhere). I can even see No.7 although at a bit of an angle. Will look closer tomorrow.
Thank-you so much Kev, you've really made my day and thanks Lyn for posting them.
Any idea of dates for these?

Absolutely and utterly brilliant, we have waited so long for Parliament Street images (we knew they were out there somewhere). I can even see No.7 although at a bit of an angle. Will look closer tomorrow.
Thank-you so much Kev, you've really made my day and thanks Lyn for posting them.

i always say they are out there somewhere john...

lyn

Couldn't resist a closer look before going to bed, the car is parked outside No. 23, if you and Kev have no objections I will try and manipulate them a bit tomorrow and pinpoint the locations & house numbers.

Attachments

• 23ParliamentSt-map.jpg
    23ParliamentSt-map.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 17
  • parliament-st-3.jpg
    parliament-st-3.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 18

lyn
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......the person in the photo was named Michael...he had leaning difficulty's .....another great photo Lyn
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......the person in the photo was named Michael...he had leaning difficulty's .....another great photo Lyn
Yes around 1965

i remember pushing the home made barrow up webster st, to get the coal off a woman in parliment st.:cold_sweat::weary_face:

That is a terrible.thing to do you could have killed them.

A bit more info on the house numbers.

Attachments

• parliamentstreet3.jpg
    parliamentstreet3.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 15
  • parliamentstreet4.jpg
    parliamentstreet4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • parliamentstreet5.jpg
    parliamentstreet5.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 17
From the shop when we lived there number 27 Mrs Salt 25 Mrs Plumb 23 Mrs Griffiths 21 Mr Simmons 19 Mr Tustin (APR air raid warden during the war 17 Mrs Speaks 15 Mr Bithell we lived at 1 bk 15 that's down the last entry
Stirks shop was number 1 Burlington street
Thanks to Photographic Historian Lyn for this and other local photographs which as brought back many memories for me.
Mrs plumb was my great gran and Mrs Griffiths was my gran

The photo of the children on the car shows Stirks Aviary in the background, on the other corner of Parliament/Burlington Street was a disused shop was where Mr. & Mrs Woo and their daughter Olive lived. Mrs. Woo was English and her husband Chinese, it would be fascinating to know how they met. The other shop in the photo was Mrs. Griggs, when I was about 5/6 yeas old during the war I won a large doll in a raffle, I had it for years then gave it to a niece.

The photo of the children on the car shows Stirks Aviary in the background, on the other corner of Parliament/Burlington Street was a disused shop was where Mr. & Mrs Woo and their daughter Olive lived. Mrs. Woo was English and her husband Chinese, it would be fascinating to know how they met. The other shop in the photo was Mrs. Griggs, when I was about 5/6 yeas old during the war I won a large doll in a raffle, I had it for years then gave it to a niece.
Hi Sylvia, I'm the child sitting on the car o/s my nans house, I've heard my mother mention them names Mr & Mrs Woo someother names I've heard who you might know are Jeannie Marsh, Sheila Hough/Huff, Kenny Cox and a family by the name of Blackstaff, my mother's family name is Griffiths

You must be related to David Griffiths, he used to chase me and my mates around the street after we were cheeky to him, and later I worked with him at British Leyland, which was in Drews Lane, Ward End...I think he was living in Tamworth at that time ..1976-1981

Back