• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament Street Aston

Cannot find them in Kellys. however a google search gives https://picclick.co.uk/THORNYCROFT-HP-SAUCE-VAN-HP-REG-RP-112385764941.html which ;lists a postcard which is described thus:
THORNYCROFT HP SAUCE VAN + 'HP' REG. RP POSTCARD BARNETT & COOPER, ASTON. 1920s
£32.00 1 Bid SOLD, £1.75 Shipping, eBay Money Back Guarantee: Get the item you ordered, or your money back!
Seller: nostalgically-yours (40) 100%, Location: Salisbury, Ships to: GB, Item: 112385764941
A very nice, rare or maybe unique, original real photo postcard depicting a Thornycroft van in the livery of the HP Sauce company. We believe the model is the Thornycroft 'X' type. The vehicle displays a very appropriate registration plate; 'HP 797'.

Published by Barnett & Cooper, of 18 Parliament Street, Aston, the postcard is in very good condition for age of almost 100 years - with a crease evident on the right side of the card and it has rounded corners. The photograph is well defined with a good tonal range. A super addition to any HP Sauce related archive or road transport postcard collection.
So presumably they were there in the 1920s, but are not listed in Kellys for 1921, 1924 or 1932

Thanks for that Mike I really appreciate the help. If they are who I think they are i.e. the first six children of my great grandfather, then it would have been taken about 1885, do you think the outfit the little boy at the front is wearing could be that old? or are there any members that are experts on this ?

John

hi john i think the date you mention could well be correct but i am no expert..i have been studying the photo though and it seems to me as though the children are standing on some sort or cloth or sheeting which looks creased and if you look closely it looks like its laid down on cobbles...i also thing the background could be false..ie they could have used something like a painted stage back drop to make it look as though the photograph was taken in the house but really it was taken outside jor maybe just in the photographers studio which was common....just my thoughts of course but they were very clever people in those days

lyn

Last edited:
How observant you are Lyn, I agree with you about the background but hadn't noticed the cobbles, they probably used the back yard of the house. I can envisage where No 18 was and there were certainly no signs of a shop there in the 50s when we lived there. These old photographs fascinate me and the quality is amazing.

John

How observant you are Lyn, I agree with you about the background but hadn't noticed the cobbles, they probably used the back yard of the house. I can envisage where No 18 was and there were certainly no signs of a shop there in the 50s when we lived there. These old photographs fascinate me and the quality is amazing.

John

yes john the back yard came to my mind as well:)...frustrating though it is when we do not know for certain who the subjects are (i have few photos like that) but i think you have a good idea so you hang onto any old family photos you have and write on the back who you think they maybe of just for future reference...these photos are priceless..

lyn

I did not look in every year of Kellys that I have access to but did look at every 3=5 years from the 1870s till 1950s. However the online electoral rolls show the occupier of no 18 from at least 1920 to 1930 (1935 seems to be missing from the site for this road) was Harry Barnett. so it was probably a small business run from home that did not enter Kellys. He had left by 1939.

Just looking a that great family photo, I don't think its cobbles stones/bricks....it looks like floorboards to me, probably taken in the front room, the coal cellar would have been under that room hence floorboards, the house I was born and bred in would have been just a few yards away from the end of our garden....That would be number 18.....

In 1920 ...Harry and Ruth Barnett were living at number 18, and at number 7 was a Emma Dodd......, if I can I will check out the 1911 census .....

john (aston lad) well theres a turn up for the books because as john (brummy lads) mom was a keight and assuming that harry barnett who married ruth keight was the photographer who took that photos johns mom was related to him in some way ..:)

lyn

Sorry I have not replied earlier it was my Mum's funeral on Wednesday (Edith Mary Leroux nee Keight) she was 96, I wish I had paid more attention to family history when I was younger and when Mum's memory was better.

I feel a bit stupid that I never made the link between Ruth Lucilla Keight and Harold Barnett (I had the information in front of me on the Keight family tree), that information throws a whole new light on the subject and I am still hopeful that I will get to the bottom of who the 6 children were. Of 14 siblings, 2 died before the age of 3 and another at the age of 21. I have just re-posted a picture from Burlington Street School (Infants Age 6) which appears to be from around 1900. Most members of the Leroux and Keight family went to Burlington Street, not surprising considering we lived in Parliament Street and Park Lane.

I cannot thank you all enough for the effort you have put into this for me, John

that would be brilliant
So far haven't seen any with our stretch on - although I know my mom must have a photo that dad would have took with us 3 kids standing in front of the Alfred Roberts van he was driving with at that time, parked out outside our house (49).
Would have been about '66 as I remember that my little sister looks about 2 in it (she's 50 on Sunday :D )
My gran lived at no 55 May annie Taylor.It was a corner house

My gran lived at no 55 May annie Taylor.It was a corner house
Hi Shaz, welcome to the forum. This map from the 50s shows No. 55, do you have any pictures of Parliament Street ? there aren't many in existence so any additional ones would be great.

Attachments

• 55ParliamentSt.jpg
    55ParliamentSt.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi Shaz, welcome to the forum. This map from the 50s shows No. 55, do you have any pictures of Parliament Street ? there aren't many in existence so any additional ones would be great.
No sorry.I can picture it in my head.The street grans house.wish i had

I can remember the front room that she never used.middle room where a door led to a cellar.A coal fire always on the go.then into a kitchen will a large sink a table a boiler for her washing and a door into the back yard.It was quite a large house although 2 bedrooms.Used to hate going down cellar she used to keep a cat to get the mice.great memories

I can remember the front room that she never used.middle room where a door led to a cellar.A coal fire always on the go.then into a kitchen will a large sink a table a boiler for her washing and a door into the back yard.It was quite a large house although 2 bedrooms.Used to hate going down cellar she used to keep a cat to get the mice.great memories
Your gran's house was at the 'posh' end of Parliament Street, where we lived (at No. 7) they were back to back houses, living room 12ft x 12ft, bedroom above and bedroom in the attic, the kitchen was about 4ft square. Toilets (2) were in the back yard and shared by 4 families. I had a happy childhood there though. We moved to Washwood Heath when I was 8 years old.

Your gran's house was at the 'posh' end of Parliament Street, where we lived (at No. 7) they were back to back houses, living room 12ft x 12ft, bedroom above and bedroom in the attic, the kitchen was about 4ft square. Toilets (2) were in the back yard and shared by 4 families. I had a happy childhood there though. We moved to Washwood Heath when I was 8 years old.
She lived at no 55 right on the corner of upper webster street.dont think it was the posh end.my dad would drive up parliamdnt street towards park lane and i can remember a big sign either players please or man with big feet.im going back 50 years so csn just remember that

She lived at no 55 right on the corner of upper webster street.dont think it was the posh end.my dad would drive up parliamdnt street towards park lane and i can remember a big sign either players please or man with big feet.im going back 50 years so csn just remember that
The sign with the big feet was next to Neales shoe repairers as you say it is on Park lane but opposite the end of Clarendon Street, there is a picture of it on the Clarendon Street thread.

Back