• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament Street Aston

Judy.....if you take a look at the second photograph in this thread, number 32a would have been where the couple on the pavement talking.......

Thanks Aston Lad - you are a star! I just wanted to visualise the house and now I have done.

Judy

As Aston Lad says, just where the children are. As can be seen from the map, no 32 is next to the gap, and 32a is the next one to that.

map_c1951_parliament_st.jpg

judy how lucky is that....only two photos and you have your gt gt grans house

lyn

Absolutely brilliant Mike. Thanks so much. Gives me a bit more meat on my family history. Now I just have to find out why she moved there from 2 x Ct 27 Clifton Road where she'd lived for ages!

Yes, Lyn - how lucky is that? This Forum comes up trumps every time!

Judy

hi folks..here is another one parliament st on the right...sirks pigeon shop on the corner..the entry on the far right is where john houghton lived at back of 15 i think...brummy lad is your no 7 on this photo

lyn

Attachments

• GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 012.JPG
    GERRARD..BURL.BUCK 012.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......

The last 2 houses were either 27 and 29, or 25 and 27.......the old pigeon shop was occupied by Asian men during the mid to late 1960's......, sorry to say as a child along with other little barstools we would set fire to their door around bonfire night by putting fireworks into the letterbox, also the bottom windows had a mesh in front on them, to stop us throwing stones through them.......Yes I was a little poo, but my children were never allowed to do anything like that......the person in the photo was named Michael...he had leaning difficulty's .....another great photo Lyn

thanks aston lad so the numbers go higher towards the shop then..shame no 7 is not showing...
actually i was lucky to get this one as i was looking for photos of burlington st and this one came up showing more of parliament st lol...

lyn

From the shop when we lived there number 27 Mrs Salt 25 Mrs Plumb 23 Mrs Griffiths 21 Mr Simmons 19 Mr Tustin (APR air raid warden during the war 17 Mrs Speaks 15 Mr Bithell we lived at 1 bk 15 that's down the last entry
Stirks shop was number 1 Burlington street
Thanks to Photographic Historian Lyn for this and other local photographs which as brought back many memories for me.

always happy to help john and thanks for the info...so pleased that we have found your entry lol

lyn

Hi Lyn,

What a fantastic picture, brings back memories but unfortunately our house No 7 is off the picture on the right.

These pictures are still turning up and I live in hope that one day no. 7 will appear like magic.

Incidentally my mum is still alive (she is 94 now) she has lost a lot of her memory of recent times but still talks of Parliament Street and Park Lane.

Many thanks, John

Hi Lyn,

What a fantastic picture, brings back memories but unfortunately our house No 7 is off the picture on the right.

These pictures are still turning up and I live in hope that one day no. 7 will appear like magic.

Incidentally my mum is still alive (she is 94 now) she has lost a lot of her memory of recent times but still talks of Parliament Street and Park Lane.

Many thanks, John

hi john...so near yet so far for your no 7 but like i always say they are out there somewhere...just like your mom our memories never fade..cant take them away from us...glad you liked the pic..

lyn

Good to see another photo of Parliament Street Lyn. I am now building up a picture of where my 2 x gt.grandmother lived.

Judy

Thanks for the pics Lyn; my maternal grandmother Edith Green was born at number 11 Parliament St on 8 November 1889.

Thanks for the pics Lyn; my maternal grandmother Edith Green was born at number 11 Parliament St on 8 November 1889.

happy to help bewdley...always on the look out for pics of this street as they are very few and far between..

lyn

Hi john
My mother as a child lived at number 4 so that's three doors away from your old house
She was there so you or your parents would have k own my grand parents
Namely the Jelfs and also my other grand mother was married to Mr Jennings
The Cartier and hand carts in those earlier years of the period
I would like to see what number 4 looked like
Jelfs moved out to ashed row then to new canal street digbeth ajoing the the typoo factory
And they had the coffee houses around Aston cross and Alma street and Lichfield road
And Tyburn road and they ran a lot of them around the city
My other grand mother the stevens left and moved to white house street Aston
Area doors from the chinns parents
Thank you Lynn for starting and getting the pictures of good old parilment street
Back on site. Best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,,

Hope somebody can help with this, sadly my Mum, Edith Mary Leroux nee Keight (formerly of 7 Parliament Street) passed away a week ago aged 96. This picture was amongst her belongings, I think it consists of Keight family members.

Interestingly on the back it has the photographer's name as Barnett & Cooper of 18, Parliament Street, Aston. Can anybody throw any light on this company and indeed when they were operating from No. 18 ? I was unaware that a photographic shop ever existed in Parliament Street.

Thank you, JohnKeight or Hayes Family.jpg

hello john firstly please accept my condolances on the loss of your mom...secondly what a smashing photo it looks to have been taken many years ago (possibly early 1900s) so maybe back then there was a photographer in parliament st..what we need is a kellys directory look up for you...unless other members can do this for you i will have a look later on today

lyn

Hi Lyn, thanks for your quick reply, yes it was a very sad day for us last Sunday, we always thought that Mum would reach 100 as she always had a fantastic appetite but weighed nothing, she has suffered with dementia for 3 years which is so difficult for relatives.
My granddad was from a family of 13 children, I feel sure that picture is of some of them and knowing the date when the photographer was working in Parliament Street would certainly help.
I have retrieved many really old family photographs from Mum's house, unfortunately no date or names on the back (I think most of us are probably guilty of that though).
Many thanks, John

Back