• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament Street Aston

Hi Lyn,

i lived at 7 Parliament Street, the Newtons lived next door at no 5, the Turners lived at no 11 and John Houghton back of no 15.
My uncle's bicycle shop was Keights at 143 Park Lane and another uncle was the newsagents Burtons at 141 Park Lane.
All the pictures of this area are fantastic but still have the appetite to see new ones.

John

Hi brummie lad
You said you lived at number 7 , my mother lived at number 4 and my grand mother married Mr Jenning. And got devorced

hi john...will keep my eyes open for anymore pics..by the way that long shot pic of the street i posted...would that have been the odd or even numbers...oh i was talking to john houghton yesterday..he loves the photos..

lyn

the kate baker mentioned was my aunt, married a albert robothan but marriage broke up with a lot of secrets coming out( wink wink). kate was more known as a spiritual medium who gave readings to all and sundry and people travelled long distances to see her, used to spook me when she sat talking to people not there but as the years have gone by I can see some merits and comforts in her beliefs. kate had a daughter ivy who ran off with a certain husband. kate eventually joined her relatives on the other side from her bungalow on castle vale that was via the prefabs in the hurstway after parliament st
edd

thanks for your memories of the street edd it all makes good reading and if anyone else who lived in parliament st have any photo we would love to see them as they are very hard to find...

cheers

lyn

Attached is a plan of Parliament Street showing the numbering (odd numbers I am certain about, even numbers seem logical in view of Lyn's picture 1).
Nos 7 (where I lived) to 17 were all back to back houses, the rest of the houses in Parliament Street were somewhat "posher" with their own gardens.
No. 4 was next to the 'entry' leading to the back door of my uncle's (Keights) bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane and my uncle's (Burtons) newsagents at 145 Park lane
Johnpsplan.jpg

The first picture is a dog-eared picture of Parliament Street taken from outside No. 7 around 1956 (in the top right-hand corner you can see theoverlay4.jpgparliamentstreet n.jpg advertisement board that is prominent in Lyn's picture 1.
The second image is an overlay using google showing where the houses used to be.

John

thanks for the map john...i had a feeling pic 2 was on the evens side...lets keep our fingers crossed that some more may turn up..they are out there somewhere and thanks for the photo showing no 2 and 5 i have got my bearings now..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,

What a star you are, picture 1 is the closest I have got to a picture of my uncles bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane (just out of the picture on the left hand side). Just out of the picture to the right hand side was the passage leading along the back of the gardens on Park Lane which was my access from 7 Parliament Street to my uncles house. Superb work on your part. John

hi john do you have a photo of the clarenden arms pub

lyn

Hi Lyn,

There is a picture in the pubs section on John Houghton's website.

John

ok john i only ask because the library have one and i am up there on saturday...will have a look at johns site as it maybe a different shot of the pub to the one the library has...unfortunately they say they have no pics of the street but i will double check that myself on sat..

ly

Lyn, just for clarification there were no pubs in Parliament Street. The Clarendon Arms (my mom & dad's local) was on the corner of Clarendon Street and Upper Webster Street.

Lyn, just for clarification there were no pubs in Parliament Street. The Clarendon Arms (my mom & dad's local) was on the corner of Clarendon Street and Upper Webster Street.

thanks syv..that saves me from looking for any in parliament st..

lyn

hi brummie lad
number four was where my mother was brought up as the only child and yes i can also remember john ;on here said many years ago now possible about nine years ago when parliment street was brought up then and he said on thread then he lived across the other side of the posher houses
and thats what he told me my mother and her familywas on the slightly posher side with slight different windows he said and i think my grand mother on my fathers side
was then name eliebeth jenning with her kids whom now and ended up as step sisterts i found out through this forum then she married a stevens
and they lived at that yard and i beleive the records confiormed it which was given to me by john or another member of the forum
that possible no, 6 ; jenning cart bussiness i do not know if jenning was married before my grand mother had thre or four kids with her at jenning house hold
i surley would to have seen a number 4 house thou to see what type of house it was when she was a kid
best wishes astonian;

Great photo's ....I not seen either before, the second photo is taken from Upper Webster Street end of Parliament street, with the even number house's being shown......the first photo shows the corner of Park Lane and Parliament Street, I think the family living in the first house in Parliament street was named Mountford, Mountjoy, something along those lines, and before it was converted into a house it was a shop, the last tenant was Roly Morris who use to sell lino, this was in the late 1950's and early 1960's.......

we used to live at 49 till 1969.
I think my mom used to mention someone who lived at (or over?) the corner shop over the road - that would be on the corner of Upper Webster St. I think, who was in Crossroads - if I remember right - maybe Carlos (the chef) - can't remember his real name.

The shop you refer to Maz was McHugh's in my time, don't know the story of anyone appearing in Crossroads who lived there.

...i feel sure that there are more to come of parliament st as the library still have not made the index cards available so i will keep pushing for them..
that would be brilliant
So far haven't seen any with our stretch on - although I know my mom must have a photo that dad would have took with us 3 kids standing in front of the Alfred Roberts van he was driving with at that time, parked out outside our house (49).
Would have been about '66 as I remember that my little sister looks about 2 in it (she's 50 on Sunday :D )

I've just got my 2 x gt.grandmother's Death Certificate, showing that she died at 32a Parliament Street in 1898. Lyn (Astoness) kindly told me about this thread as I was hoping to find a photo of the street. On Google Maps it is all new housing now. The photos that have been posted here give me some idea of what it looked like, and I wonder if 32a might have been perhaps a house in flats? Or could it have been a back to back house?

Judy

Back