• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parliament street aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks as far as i know apart from personal ones these are the first photos of parliament st to be seen on this forum...the library came up trumps yesterday...dated 1967...on pic 1 you can clearly see the number 2 on the door..pic 2 i have no idea what the numbering is or which side of the road the houses are on but hopefully some of our members who knew this street well can help us out..on pic 2 it looks to be a little shop half way down and i think i can just make out 2 ladies talking..also 2 children at the bedroom window on the right...hope they are ok as its not very easy taking photos of photos lol..click on the pics twice to enlarge..

lyn

PARLIAMENT ST 017.JPG

Last edited:

sylviasayers

master brummie
Lyn, thanks for posting. The lst pic is the corner of Parliament Street and Park Lane. When I was growing up it was a secondhand shop I think the lady who ran it was called Kate, but it had been bricked up by the time the photo was taken.

I am not sure about the 2nd photo but it may be the stretch from Burlington Street running up to Park Lane on the opposite side of the road to the first pic.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi lynn ;
I Do not surpose ypou have any think of a mr jennings in parliment street he was a maker and hirer of hand carts in parliment street
as my fathers mother married mr jenning before remarrying to another man i beleive he dealt with batterys as qwell it may have been around number 6 parliment street and he would have been operating from a yard best wishes alan;;

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
sorry alan i didnt lived in parliament st i am just posting the photos for those who knew the street..

all the best

lyn

brenda barr

master brummie
Sylvia once again correct me if i'm wrong..but the second picture is Parliament St looking up on the left you can see an opening of Jennings basket place and before that is Griggs's....Brenda
st

brenda barr

master brummie
Sylvia once again correct me if i'm wrong..but the second picture is Parliament St looking up on the right you can see an opening of Jennings basket place and before that is Griggs's....Brenda
st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi brenda yes you are right.. ive just had that confirmed from someone who lived in the street who says pic 2 is looking up from upper webster st to park lane..the shop was owned by mrs grieg..the opening further up showing the black wall was jennings accumulators better known for its cart hire and basket carriages...

in pic 1 the bricked up shop used to be owned by kate baker and rolly morris as a carpet and floor covering business at one time..

lyn

Last edited:

brenda barr

master brummie
Glad to see the grey matter still has it...that is from years back l'm still living in the old Aston... l would get lost if l lived there now....Brenda

brummie nick

master brummie
Thanks for the reply Brenda, It was my father who was the pigeon fancier, It must have been in the 1940 when we went there.
Nick

sylviasayers

master brummie
Brenda, you are right about Mrs. Griggs shop, and the opening to Jennings, after I came off my computer yesterday I gave it some more thought and remembered the shop. The photo was on the right hand side of Parliament Street running from Upper Webster Street to Park Lane.

When I was a little girl Mrs. Grigg had a raffle and the prize was a large chalk doll with painted hair with a kiss curl, and guess who won it? me, Polly Foster came round to tell me, I was absolutely thrilled as due to the war there was very few toys to be bought, mom gave me an old sheet to cut up to make napkins, I laid it on the bed and happily cut away only to find I had cut through the good sheet on my bed, mom went mad as you had to have coupons to replace household linen besides clothes etc.

brummy-lad

master brummie
Hi Lyn,

What a star you are, picture 1 is the closest I have got to a picture of my uncles bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane (just out of the picture on the left hand side). Just out of the picture to the right hand side was the passage leading along the back of the gardens on Park Lane which was my access from 7 Parliament Street to my uncles house. Superb work on your part. John

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi Lyn,

What a star you are, picture 1 is the closest I have got to a picture of my uncles bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane (just out of the picture on the left hand side). Just out of the picture to the right hand side was the passage leading along the back of the gardens on Park Lane which was my access from 7 Parliament Street to my uncles house. Superb work on your part. John
hi john only too happy to oblige...i know only too well whats its like trying to find photos...i feel sure that there are more to come of parliament st as the library still have not made the index cards available so i will keep pushing for them...have you seen all the photos on the park lane thread..what was your uncles shop called..i will keep an eye out for you..must apologise john ive just remembered you lived in clarenden st i think..i have another appointment with the library next saturday so i will do a search for you..

lyn

Last edited:

brummie nick

master brummie
Hi Lyn,

More pictures of Park Lane here.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38693&page=2

brummy-lad

master brummie
Hi Lyn,

i lived at 7 Parliament Street, the Newtons lived next door at no 5, the Turners lived at no 11 and John Houghton back of no 15.
My uncle's bicycle shop was Keights at 143 Park Lane and another uncle was the newsagents Burtons at 141 Park Lane.
All the pictures of this area are fantastic but still have the appetite to see new ones.

John

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi brummie lad
You said you lived at number 7 , my mother lived at number 4 and my grand mother married Mr Jenning. And got devorced

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi john...will keep my eyes open for anymore pics..by the way that long shot pic of the street i posted...would that have been the odd or even numbers...oh i was talking to john houghton yesterday..he loves the photos..

lyn

eddlowe

master brummie
the kate baker mentioned was my aunt, married a albert robothan but marriage broke up with a lot of secrets coming out( wink wink). kate was more known as a spiritual medium who gave readings to all and sundry and people travelled long distances to see her, used to spook me when she sat talking to people not there but as the years have gone by I can see some merits and comforts in her beliefs. kate had a daughter ivy who ran off with a certain husband. kate eventually joined her relatives on the other side from her bungalow on castle vale that was via the prefabs in the hurstway after parliament st
edd