• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parkinson Stoves & Blowlamps, Stetchford.

lencops

gone but not forgotten
Group of workers at Monitor Oil Appliances Ltd, who became a part of Parkinson Stoves & Blowlamps, Stetchford. Len.

Photo unfortunately lost in hack

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousins Albert & Gordon LAMB worked at Parkinson & Cowen buying office in the 60s Both sadly passed away now.
Any one remember them?

when we got married in 1970 we had a discount Parkinson Cowan 1200 gas stofrom the in-laws. Sold it a profit anumber of years later (converted to natural gas)

OtherHalf, No is the answer to your question, Monitor Oil Appliances before being taken over by Parkinsons had a factory named Monitor Works in Red Hill Rd, Hay Mills, Parkinsons was on the left hand side of Station Rd going up the hill towards the Yew Tree, it was very badly bombed during WW2. Len.

My name is Darren Tonks, i was apprenticed at parkinson Cowan on 1st September 1981, did my 4 years then was taken on as a toolmaker in the toolroom, had 6 further years until the placed closed down in 1992, some very happy memories of Parkies, if anyone wants any info get in touch, my father and grandfather and grandmother also worked there!

Hello and welcome to the forum Brummie toolmaker my brother was a toolmaker for all his working life. My first cooker was a Parkinson Cowan bought in 1974 and was the best cooker I ever had! I was gutted when I had a new kitchen and it had to go. I gave it to my friends mother and she had it for years. They don't make them like that today.

Re: Parkinson Stoves & Blowlamps, Stechford.

4 Old Parkinson Adverts - c1930s
Parkinson - 1930s Ad.jpg
Parkinson Ad - 1929.jpg

parkinson ad 2.jpg

Parkinson Ad.jpg

Great adverts Two. I remember the stove in the second ad. (People rarely call them 'stoves' these days do they?). It had greyish, blue speckled enamel. Very heavy door on it. A friend of mine had one until fairly recently and when she tried to get it repaired the gasman disconnected it as unsafe. I don't suppose they can be repaired anymore. Viv.

I did my apprenticeship at Parkies, 1954 to 59 then after being detained at Catterick for 2 years I returned in 1961. After a couple of years I left and went to West Mid Gas Board then was recruited back to Parkies. I was working with John Lodge of (subsequently) Moody Blues fame at this time. At the end of 66 I eventually made a final farewell and went skiing!

Hi Archie
Good morning , correct me if I am right or wrong was there or not parkies ,
Had a big factory fire there in the seventys as I seem to recall
My wife's family lived down manner road at the time on the brow of the hill
Which was on high ground as you can imagine and on that night in question
We could over see the fire over the back garden which also we could see over the railway
Line into stechford being nosie as one are we all went down to the station road
And looking across we was also concerned for our friends and neibours
There next door neibour was a jean Evans and her husband and daughter
Whom worked there for years but it worked out okay they was it of it
Can you recall the co/op bakery and or if when manner road area
Was country died and farms it was great then
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Hello Astonian.
I had moved out of B'ham by 1970 but I do recall hearing of the fire although I know of no details or when it happened. I seem to remember that there was a pub at the top of the hill beyond the railway bridge and a Co-op. Memory a little vague. I have driven through Stechford only once or maybe twice since 1966!
Regards
Archie7

Hi Archie
Nice to hear from you on the subject of your memory the pub at the top of the hill
Was in fact the North Star public house and it was a family pub
And constantly busy pub and across from the train station was the Richmond private
Members club facing the entrance of the train station
And the midland bank was on the opersite side to it
Can you remember the open fields behind the swimming baths
It was a playing fields for the kids where I used to organise foot ball and games
And rounders half the population of the surrounding streets came and joined it
One of the girls whom lived next door to the fields whom loved foot ball
Whom I can name but will not for legal reasons became a player for a Solihull
Ladies foot ball team after years of playing and gaining the experience of
Playing most nights of the week what I had organised
Best wishes Archie have a good day best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,

parkinson.jpg

Hi Archie
Nice to hear from you on the subject of your memory the pub at the top of the hill
Was in fact the North Star public house and it was a family pub
And constantly busy pub and across from the train station was the Richmond private
Members club facing the entrance of the train station
And the midland bank was on the opersite side to it
Can you remember the open fields behind the swimming baths
It was a playing fields for the kids where I used to organise foot ball and games
And rounders half the population of the surrounding streets came and joined it
One of the girls whom lived next door to the fields whom loved foot ball
Whom I can name but will not for legal reasons became a player for a Solihull
Ladies foot ball team after years of playing and gaining the experience of
Playing most nights of the week what I had organised
Best wishes Archie have a good day best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,
There are few pubs "at the top of the hill" around there. At the top of of the Audley Road hill was The Glebe. At the top of Stechford Road is The Fox And Goose. At the top of Yardley Fields Road is the Yardley Arm and over the hill of Flaxley Road is The Iron Horse, I can't figure out why there wasn't a pub at the top of Burney Lane. Still, there was one over the hill, The Ward End I think.
I played football for our school on that pitch on top of the hill, pity the goalie who had to fetch the ball !!!!. On the same ground sort of around the corner, we could go sledging when the snow on the ground. Our sledges were high-tec Co-op milk crates. We had to make do in those days, no change there then.
All these local attractions were topped off with aroma of fresh baked bread coming from the Co-op Bakery just the other side if the railway track from Parkinson Cowan.

Does anyone remember my brother Roy Fifield.Worked at Parkies from1959 till he retired making the gas rails for the cookers was also the agent for the Warwick lottery and big Villa fan

Hi really enjoying this thread. My grandad, John McCourt worked as a toolmaker for Parkinson Stove Company Limited in Stechford during WWII. I have his employment certificate.

I’ve found out my Mum and sisters worked for Parkinson Cowan from around 1941.

Is there any way of finding old photographs or information about the company. It would be lovely to see staff photographs.

My Mum was only 14 years old and took her Mum to the interview with her - she was very shy.

The Jone’s Sisters (Ada, Mary and Lily) worked at Parkinson Cowan Stechfird in the 40’s. My Mom was one of them and I’m trying to find out more and if there are any photos of the factory and people who worked there. It would be lovely to hear if anyone remembers them.

Back