• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parkes

ShardEnder

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know anything about the Parkes family who lived in Smethwick in the late 1800s early 1900s? Searching for details of my grandmother, Sarah Emily Parkes. The family originally came from Newport, Shropshire.:rolleyes:

Re: Searching for Parkes

1891 Census shows I think the address reads 32 French Wall Row, Harbourne, but can't be sure.

Thomas Parkes b. abt 1849 French, Shropshire, General Labourer
Mary A b. abt 1853, Newtown, Montgomeryshire
Annie b. abt 1875 Nantwich, Cheshire
John b. abt 1878, Newport, Shropshire
Sarah E b. abt 1880 Newport
Edith b abt 1878 Newport
George T b abt 1886 Newport
Eliza b abt 1889 Smethwick
William H b abt 1891 Smethwick

In 1901 Sarah was a waitress and listed at 20 Bennetts Row, Birmingham

Hi Shardender

Do you have a Maria Parkes on your tree? She was my 2 x gt.grandmother (born around 1812) and died young in 1841 not long after giving birth do my gt.grandfather. She married George Hanson in 1838 at St Bartholomews Edgbaston, but no father's name was entered on the certificate. Her address was Swallow Street, Birmingham.

Judy

Many thanks Suemalings and Jayell for the quick reply. I have the information about Sarah on the 1901 census and have found them at Hill Row, Soho Street on the 1911 census. Thanks for the 1891 census information though. I don't think I have Maria Parkes on my tree (haven't got that far back yet). The family didn't come to Birmingham until about 1887/8 but they may have had relatives living in Birmingham at the time. I'd really like to find anyone related to my grandmother's brothers/sister (John, Edith, George, Elijah, William or Arthur Parkes).

Back