• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parkes And Mainwaring - Printers

As a free lance artist the name "Parkes and Mainwaring" was a blast from the past for my wife. In the pre computer age she would draw the art work in preparation for printing process. This would have been 1957-1967.

From both those clippings, it implies that it was OK to be in possession of housebreaking implements by day? Today he would have pleaded that they were the tools of his trade and probably got away with it! :) :) :)

Maurice

As a free lance artist the name "Parkes and Mainwaring" was a blast from the past for my wife. In the pre computer age she would draw the art work in preparation for printing process. This would have been 1957-1967.
My Dad (Raymond George Kirkwood) worked at Parkes & Mainwaring from August 1938 until he went into the RAMC in September 1939. He then went back to work at P & M in Feb 1946 until around Jan 1952.

The thread about Foster Brothers provided some old (1930 and 1937) posters, for local football teams, produced by this company. From the link it will be seen they were still in business in 1966.
https://collections.vam.ac.uk/name/parkes-and-mainwarings-ltd/A32725/
There is probably more out there.
I have a copy of a programme booklet called "Blues News" season 1952-53. It is the official programme of Birmingham City Football Club. It has advertising, league tables, match stories and fixtures and a story on a player by the name of Ken Green. The Blues News was printed by Parkes & Mainwarings.

Back