• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parker Winder & Achurch

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
This name came into my head I remember the Company in the 60s can anyone refresh my memory.Thank you. Dek:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quick search on net
Parker, Winder and Achurch
The directory lists William Parker (1845), Henry Parker (1860) and Parker, Winder and Achurch (1900) all of whom occupied the same premises.
Parker, Winder and Achurch began life as a small one-man business in 1836 and eventually became one of the largest businesses in the street. Originally manufacturing the goods, but later buying in finished goods for re-sale.
1873: Business in the ironmongery trade increased and the company expanded by recruiting Mr Alfred Winder.
1890: Mr John Achurch was recruited and the business from then on operated as Parker, Winder and Achurch.
Over the years Parker, Winder and Achurch sold an expanded range of metal-based goods, which reflected the changes in construction methods and fashion. By the end of the Victorian era, Parker, Winder and Achurch had showrooms in New Street; workshops and warehouses in nearby Brasshouse Passage and St. Peter’s Place (now the site of the International Convention Centre).
Parker, Winder and Achurch adapted to changing modes of transport and replaced their horse drawn carriages with a fleet of delivery vehicles which ran on the new pneumatic tyres, they were later housed in new garages.
1936-1972: Parker, Winder and Achurch decided that their premises were too small. They moved to a new building on the opposite side of Broad Street. Since then they have moved to Hockley and Kings Norton and still trade today.

My brother worked there as an electrician in the 60s and had to go to Taunton to wire up a crematorium. I remember he stayed there during the week as it took so long to get there and back as there was no M5 then.

lll.jpeg1934.
Building work in progress on Parker, Winder & achurch.

Parker Winder and Achurch in its imposing completed form, dated in this photo 1937. A few more views of different parts of the building on this same Royal Institute of British Architects website

image.php

Parker Winder and Achurch in its imposing completed form, dated in this photo 1937. A few more views of different parts of the building on this same Royal Institute of British Architects website

image.php

Can you tell me where this beautiful building is please. Sueb

A much earlier photo of the original buildings, dated 1934. You can see advertised on the side of the building "site of new premises"

Attachments

• City Broad St Parker, Winder Achurch 1934.JPG
    City Broad St Parker, Winder Achurch 1934.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 55
As hinted at above , they were also Electrical Contractors . My mate George Nicholson worked for them in the 60.s .

My great great great great Uncle was William Parker! I have original letters from him referring to the setting up of his business in 1828 and 1836, and loads of info. Great to see the photos.

Some photos are missing on this thread so here are a couple of images of the earlier PWA buildings and the 1930s one. It had a Bloye sculptured relief on one facade - a great representation of the building industry. I somehow doubt it’s been preserved somewhere, pity. Viv.

3A92ACEA-0E31-4BE7-9AE2-D31328DA6946.jpeg7F23FDEF-B0C4-4785-B0E3-124812A0D7F5.jpeg820A638D-5179-4898-BD7E-5B6DB5100450.jpeg

I wonder if a mod could correct the title to this thread please. The last name should be Achurch (not Allchurch). Many thanks. Viv.

Fascinating to read about this company as my mother and I have just found an old catalogue of theirs from the early / mid 1930’s. An earlier post suggested that they are still trading but I can’t find any records of that. Another website suggested they had been acquired by another company but I can’t confirm that either. Does anyone know? Would love to pass the catalogue on to someone rather than send it to the tip, feels such a shame to do that. Thanks19702601-D562-4C59-9E88-3B1CDA2BD635.jpegD9752DCB-B0CF-4883-83C5-8684A06A240C.jpeg06DC4807-E7E7-4A53-9442-6F7A9157088C.jpeg

After the closure of the Broad Street store I seem to remember that they opened a store in Bradford Street. Can't find any mention of this. Can anyone else confirm or was I daydreaming on the bus?

Having found the tape on the box for a garden sprayer, I did a bit of research. It seems that the Company was dissolved around 1999. This doesn't mean that some other company didn't take them over, but the original name is no longer listed.

Fascinating to read about this company as my mother and I have just found an old catalogue of theirs from the early / mid 1930’s. An earlier post suggested that they are still trading but I can’t find any records of that. Another website suggested they had been acquired by another company but I can’t confirm that either. Does anyone know? Would love to pass the catalogue on to someone rather than send it to the tip, feels such a shame to do that. ThanksView attachment 178619View attachment 178620View attachment 178621
PWA moved into the new Broad Street building in 1936. In 1972 they relocated to the Kings Norton district of Birmingham, where they remained until 1992 when the company was acquired by Frederick Cooper Ltd., the UK's foremost paint spraying and powder coating company.
More info at

Last edited:
Back