• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Street Pubs and Hotels and historic buildings

Hello Dennis I used to work in Stafford Street,can you continue with the narrative from your last post re Stafford St in scan no. 4 please I then maybe able to pinpoint location I have a few pictures of Stafford St.

Hello again Dennis, this area must have changed a lot after the railways were built, my dad was a carter on the GWR
and their horses were all stabled under the arches in Park Street which I understand is now a car park, Bernard

Hello Dennis I used to work in Stafford Street,can you continue with the narrative from your last post re Stafford St in scan no. 4 please I then maybe able to pinpoint location I have a few pictures of Stafford St.

OK John, this is the only reference I can find of the Bell Tavern. Hope it helps put the location in your mind, it did me.

Thank you Dennis, that's the way I remember it, theoretically corner of Dale End and James Watt Street, not Stafford Street,.

the pheonix park street was a pub my friends and i used in late 50.S EARLY 60/S A FUN PUB THAT HAD A TRIO THAT PLAYED FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY CALLED ALAN KING TRIO AND A LANDLORD NAMED REG WHO LOVED YOU TO ENJOY YOURSELFS WE HAD WHAT WAS CALLED TRAMPS NIGHTS WHEN EVERYBODY DRESSED HAS TRAMPS AND WHAT WAS CALLED A TRAMPS SUPPER I HAVE PHOTOS OF THESE NIGHTS AND WILL POST THEM POST THEM WHEN ICAN IHAVE ONE TAKEN IN THE YARD WITH MY FRIENDS WE FORMED OUR FIRST FOOT BALL TEAM THERE AND PLAYED IN CORONATION LEAGUE FOR AFEW YEARS HOPE THIS INTEREST ANY ONE IT LOOKS BORING IN PRINT JHARRIS

Here's a few more old photos of Park Street and it's buildings and houses. I can even vaguely remember the first one..!
What it must have been like to watch folk boating along the River Rea from your back garden. There's a picture of that somewhere I am hoping to find.

Aidan will no doubt be interested to note the occupation of the Big House were Brushmakers.

Last edited:
Thanks Dennis. Those Brushmakers get everywhere don't they? Must have been a real thriving industry in Birmingham but one that is little known.

I am interested in that appendage to the lovely house ij the last picture. Do you know any details? It looks like a cover for a Home Guard/Resistance machine-gun post or similar.....(I live in hope)

On the wall, the sign says "Henry Shaw & Sons - Nail Warehouse and Office". But I agree, it looks like a pillbox. Taken between 1870 and 1920 (from the Book title). Glad you liked it.

Henry Shaw was there from before 1855 till about 1908. There seem to be some broken windows in the top story, and possibly a for notice in the centre window of the first floor, so possibly it was around 1908 at and of use?
Mike

Dennis,

You posted the picture of the Phoenix Pub in Park Street, where did this come from?

In the back ground is a company - Wm Shaw, I would like to try and see what was written under the name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob.

Bob,
I think something of a mix up has happened,
first, my name is Dennis Williams,but not the one who has written about the pubs,
I have not been on the forum for a while so there must be two of us??????

Bob it says "Manufacturer Railway store and plant of every description."

Terry

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for the reply, that's really great.

It would appear that the photograph came from book, need to trace which one, any ideas?

One of the threads says
Dennis Williams
Re: Park Street Pubs and Hotels and historic buildings

On the wall, the sign says "Henry Shaw & Sons - Nail Warehouse and Office". But I agree, it looks like a pillbox. Taken between 1870 and 1920 (from the Book title). Glad you liked it

What is the Book Title?
Bob

Back