• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Street Graveyard

D

Darthdc

My dad has often drove past this wondering whether it is a small cemetary or the graveyard of a long gone church. I'm talking of the small burial area not far from Masshouse Street.

I think was possibly once possibly part of St Batholemews, Jennens Row, built 1749 and since demolished. The map below is 1890

There were at least three cemeteries moreorless next to each other in this area.
St Barthomolew's Church was built in 1749, onj land given for the purpose by John Jennens (descendant of James Jennens) of Copsal, Leicestershire, and wealthy landowner in Birmingham. He must have died before the buildinbg work started, as histrorian William Hutton wrote that his widow was persuaded by Mrs Weaman (another wealthy landowner and benefactor) to give £100 towards the construction. It was on the north side of Masshouse Lane and Duddeston Row, and under or immediately to the south of the new Jennens Lane.
The other two sites have been public gardens for well over a century, but they were laid out as as cemetery overflow for St Martin's Church, which must have been filled before 1800. They are on the east side of Park Street, and quite a pleasant place today.
Peter
It was

Burial records for St Bartholomews from 1752 to1847 are held at the mother church of St Martins. The churchyard closed in 1861 though internments in family vaults still took pace until 1899. The church was closed in 1937, and suffered bomb dammage during the second world war. It was demolished soon after.

Back