• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Street Burial Ground

Presumably, in the past, former cemeteries were known about but due to the long period of time since interment the area was just built over. This would explain the finding of burials when older building or areas are excavated for newer things. I suppose the most well known recently was the car park in Leicester and Richard III.
it was not built over,you could see it was a cemetery, they just wanted the land for that hs2

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet its horrible for the loved ones, when the bodies are removed. it's just sacrilege
i hope to god it never happends to mine or your families.
Just watched BBC interview with those responsible for HS2 in BRUM. They ensure that theIr camera did not PAN In the area of the bodies they are digging up (edited)

AND YES I feel we do have relatives in there as we go back to 1835 in Brum, but Bham Council wont supply a list, (edited to remove Broad Street references) The Guy interviewed on BBC this morning when asked, wud you do it any different if you were to start again, he said..MOST DEFINITELY!!

it was not built over,you could see it was a cemetery, they just wanted the land for that hs2, Edit **** uncle herberts grave dig him up and move him someware else .as long as its not here
On all old maps I have looked it is simply described as 'Park Street Gardens'. :)

I suppose a photo taken by some bloke hanging over the side of a 1930s biplane would not show such detail. I have zoomed in on the large pic and can see some small objects that could be headstones near the fence or bushes along Park Street. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the actual layout of the burial ground. Maybe some member has an old photo of Park Street taken at street level.
View attachment 140918
none of us get younger, we all die, but often old photos disappear when we die and when found are destroyed, its times like these that they are invaluable, wud be gud to have some depository where people that knew the pics wudnt be kept...an idea.

The permanent burial of the physical body, or the burial of cremated remains, should be seen as a symbol of our entrusting the person to God for resurrection”, Under UK law, remains can only be exhumed on the authority of the Justice Secretary or the Church of England if from consecrated ground.:mad:

This thread is now locked for admin discussion. The thread was intended for comments about the burial ground, it’s history and factual information revealed by the recent excavations. Unfortunately the discussion has moved away from that. Mods will now discuss the thread. Thank you to all who have contributed. Viv.

this thread is now open again for comments...can members please read viv post 90

thanks ...from the team

Some details of the almost complete wooden 17C chair In above post.
Probably oak, heavy solid style with turned barley-twist decoration on the front legs: fragments of the leather seat and back and of the organic
stuffing survived.

This is close to the interesting thread….

Back