• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Street Burial Ground

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't end up at Witton cemetery which is where the Old Meeting House remains went. As we've said elsewhere on the forum those remains have been properly marked with an obelisk and some are still visible. However, this was some time ago and I wonder if the same respect will be shown to these re-burials?

hi pen my follow up question would be...are the remains from the old meeting house all buried in one big grave..second question is has a record of names been kept of the remains of those who were moved....just in case rellies come looking for them.. if memory serves me correctly the remains of those buried at st marys whittall st were sent to witton and key hill

lyn

As far as I can remember Lyn, there is quite a big area set aside for the Old Meeting graves. It's on a slope with the monument at the top. Where possible the gravestones were saved and if the bones were identifiable then they were buried whole, not lumped together with others. There are several gravestones which are still legible. The obelisk was erected so that the area could be found in the future and those whose graves were lost were commemorated. The names would still be listed under the Old Meeting House and it would be presumed that they had been moved but not always individually.

Hi Lyn, the coffins from the Western side St. Mary's went to Witton and later the ones from the eastern side went to Warstone Lane.
(Reference "In The Midst of Life". Joseph McKenna}
rosie.

sorry for delay in replying rosie and pen...i was away when you both posted...many thanks for the photo and confirming where the bodies from old meeting and st marys are..

thanks also 60 footer for the update on replies you have received...

lyn.

I have made other enquiries today.
This enquiry was made to the Church of England Diocese by e-mail (cofebirmingham.com) on 9th. December. I have not received a reply or mail acknowledgement to date. Maybe they don't check their Spam as it may have gone there.?

This enquiry was made to the Church of England Diocese by e-mail (cofebirmingham.com) on 9th. December. I have not received a reply or mail acknowledgement to date. Maybe they don't check their Spam as it may have gone there.?

Here is a list of Diocesan staff - you could try contacting someone direct - maybe the Public Affairs lady...

Last edited:
History meets innovation HS2...

“Human remains to be reburied elsewhere, and including a Second World War bombing decoy in Lichfield, Staffordshire.”

“6,500 skeletons unearthed at Curzon Street station.”

When I worked in the garage for Marsh & Baxters I remember them digging up the graves to make way for a new car park this was about 1956-58

61000 bodies that have been at peace for many years have most likely now been disturbed....absolutely shocking :mad: i am almost lost for words

The biggest of these is at the site of Euston’s proposed HS2 terminus. St James’s Gardens, off the Hampstead Road, was London’s largest burial ground, where an estimated 61,000 bodies were buried in the 18th and 19th centuries, and it sits almost entirely within the footprint of the station.

Lyn, I spoke to someone at the Midand Institute today (we'd gone for a talk by a Midland Ancestors member). I took the opportunity to ask if anyone knew where the ashes would be re-buried. Nobody knew but it was suggested that as other displaced burials were moved to Witton then these new ones would probably go too. There is a talk at the Midland Institute on 1 July concerning the burial ground, and HS2 but unfortnately I can't attend.

I'll email Witton and ask where these original re-burials are and ask if they know anything. The burial ground seems to have been affected by redevelopment more than once in the past.

thanks for your efforts pen....although other members have made enquires to more than one person no one seems to want to tell us just what has happened to the bodies that have recently been removed from the park st burial ground...all seems a bit cloak and dagger if you ask me...it surely is not a difficult question to answer

lyn

Last edited:
thanks for that link rosie...so some 6500 bodies were removed from park st..all we want to know now is....where are they... most annoying that no one seems to want to tell us

lyn

Last edited:
I was wondering where they are being stored meanwhile?
I found this today.
HS2 dig uncovers Birmingham’s 19th-century inhabitants - Current Archaeology
I was upset in the past to discover that my great grandmother was removed from Key Hill to make way for the Metro, no wonder I couldn't find the grave!! At least she's remembered on the Metro Wall, these bodies haven't much in the way of recognition.
rosie.
Rosie, that was a fascinating link although I was a bit perturbed by the artefacts being used to replace the organs which had been removed during dissection.

Sorry Lady P, I was a little taken aback too! I imagine they were from the workhouse, they seemed to be treated poorly even in death.
Lyn, it seems direspectful to just put them somewhere while they are making up their minds, I suppose to them they are just artefacts to be examined but some were my ancestors!!
rosie.

Back