• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Street burial ground - Digbeth

ginger_cat

knowlegable brummie
Hi

Not sure if anyone has seen this, I had a look through the threads and couldn't see any mention - apologies if this is a repeat.

The BBC are running a story that due to the HS2 (which seems to be controlling my life at the moment) they may have to exhume bodies from the Park Street burial ground in Digbeth which is near to Curzon street. They say that the last burial was made around the late 1800's and should bodies need to be exhumed they will contact living relates if they can find them.

Fortunatly for my side of the family most of them are later additions to Birmingham and are buried in Lodge Hill or Bramwood End. My husbands family lived in the centre from the mid 1800's and a number of the burials have never been traced. There is a chance they could be buried at park street or where the bullring now stands and there doesn't seem to be any lists of the burials. I know a number of his family married either at St Martins or St Phillips but we have never been notified of any bodies being moved, is there a site or does anyone know where we may be able to get a list of these burials?

_59642094_20120412_1612391(2).jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-17701795

Hi Ginger-cat

There is a thread for Park st....search, Park street-Fazeley street, I was looking for it yesterday there is a lot of information on ther you may find interesting.

Pat

Because of the age of these graves they should issue a list of the names of the graves affected - it would make much more sense than them trying to find living relatives.

Back