• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Street, Aston

djb222

proper brummie kid
I remember visiting my Grandmother in the 60's but could not remember the street name. The houses were terraced, on a cobbled street, and at the back was a communal yard. I have since checked the census records and they lived at 31 Park Street, Aston ( Florence and Katherine Baugh) other family members Eric and Mirriam Ratcliffe) also lived at 25 Park Street.

I have managed to find the street on an old map but not any photographs. I know it's a long shot but have any members any images they would like to share or who knew the above mentioned people. Thanks in advance

i am just trying to place where park st aston is/was i have a shed load of photos of park lane but only these 2 of park st however i will search photos i have on my desk top tomorrow and post if i have any more..the first photo show court no 23

lyn

Aston Park St 23 Court.jpgAston Park St Cafe.jpg

Many thanks all, would love to see more if you have them, thanks for taking the time.. Thanks Pete, after the houses were flattened the map you show is after the development....here is the old version of the layout.6174650333_71a4ed861d_o copy.jpg

Many thanks all, would love to see more if you have them, thanks for taking the time.. Thanks Pete, after the houses were flattened the map you show is after the development....here is the old version of the layout.View attachment 150912
thats better i recognize it now.my dad worked in a very old factory on wainright st op park st. and we used a sweet shop near by, but i cant remember were it was now.hope Lyn can find some more pics.

I remember visiting my Grandmother in the 60's but could not remember the street name. The houses were terraced, on a cobbled street, and at the back was a communal yard. I have since checked the census records and they lived at 31 Park Street, Aston ( Florence and Katherine Baugh) other family members Eric and Mirriam Ratcliffe) also lived at 25 Park Street.

I have managed to find the street on an old map but not any photographs. I know it's a long shot but have any members any images they would like to share or who knew the above mentioned people. Thanks in advance

I have a couple of photos of park Street my mom was Sally [Sarah brown]we lived at 51 park Street,we moved there about 1968 my brothers was mark and Terry and sister Lorraine I am Norman Brown AKA Street name back then [ lilac Looney ] just got on site so will post photos just got to get them out

This photo from Pinterest is marked as Park Street, Aston in 1904 (apologies if it has been posted before or if it's been misattributed). My great uncle's family converted their front room at 1 Park Street into a boot repairers at about the same time, an ironic occupation for someone with only one foot following a injury while playing football.

Attachments

• Park Street Aston.jpg
    Park Street Aston.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 1 Park St.jpg
    1 Park St.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 32

I have just come across your post whilst searching something unrelated and was really surprised to see 31 Park Street. I was born here in 1960. My mom remembers your family and thinks she exchanged houses with your grandmother from Kingstanding as she wanted to live near her daughter Mrs Ratcliffe.

I have just come across your post whilst searching something unrelated and was really surprised to see 31 Park Street. I was born here in 1960. My mom remembers your family and thinks she exchanged houses with your grandmother from Kingstanding as she wanted to live near her daughter Mrs Ratcliffe.
I remember my Father saying exactly that many years ago. I remember the house very well and the cellar we were not allowed anywhere near and the stairs which Kathy fell down and broke her ankle....twice I think. I was also fascinated with the chandeliers in the front and back rooms and the dead flies in them. Fond memories.

Hi all. Just came across this thread after doing a search for the history of Aston. I was born in Park Street/Lichfield Road and was there until I was about 8 or 9. Although I didn't realise at the time it was pretty community based place. The Vine pub was right across the road from us but looking at it now it is a rather sad looking reflection of what I remember. I have a few memories from back then :)

Back