• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Road Hockley

Hi yes I also remember Ms Fisher at penticostal- very talkative and a nice lady - i remember she used to give me a bag of sweets whenever i went to the church - suppose that why i remember her so well - thanks for the memory stewi

Roger lived at 254.After we left school only saw him a few times.Please see comments elswhere about bike and spor
Hi. My name is Roger Moody and I lived at 253 Park Road from1948 until 1962. The car Bill Jefforson had was a 1938 Austin 18 which he sold to me in 1961 for£20. I used to help him in the mornings getting his fruit and veg outside and of a Christmas help him dress his turkeys. We backed onto Soho Pool Wharf and of a night we were rocked to sleep by the sound of the trains shunting. if I can be of any help in what you are looking for please get in touch. Roger.
Do i know you? I am Ken from across the road in paper shop .did you know D.erek wardle or Lauraine Heath .?What was the name of lad that helped Mr Jeff ? (hope you can help) Regards Ken

a motor cycle about 1963 then in 1967 he had a triumph tr4a sports car.First time i did over the ton in a car.! last time i saw him.Didn't he emigrate to Australia?.regards Ken
Hello Ken, Would fit, I reckon I bought a 3 wheeler Bond Car from him in about 1962, did he go to Handsworth Grammar?
regards RobT

I have a friend who lived in Park Road - she does not have a computer so she won't have seen this. Her father ran the pub near Factory Road, I think it was called The Railway or The Engine or something similar. Her name was Susan Jenkins. Came from quite a large family, Dot, Maurice (Mossy), Shirley, Linda, Barry - cannot remember the others. Does anyone remember this family? I also had a friend whom I lost touch with who lived on The Pleck, which was near the railway bridge, her name was Carolyn Walker. I have been trying for ages to locate her, but although I know she lived at Frankley for some time, she seems to have moved away and I cannot trace her. Any help would be very appreciated.

Shortie
Hi shortie - Sorry I did not realise your post went back to 2011 - re-response to the Jenkins family Railway/Engine Pub on Park Road - Stewi

Most kids homed in on Button 'B', so there was only a chance that you had not been usurped. Even so every now and again someone found themselves in luck. I bet many adults did it as well.

Last edited:
Roger lived at 254.After we left school only saw him a few times.Please see comments elswhere about bike and spor

Do i know you? I am Ken from across the road in paper shop .did you know D.erek wardle or Lauraine Heath .?What was the name of lad that helped Mr Jeff ? (hope you can help) Regards Ken
Hi Ken yes I remember Laurain Heath - carnt remember jeff though - Stewi

I lived at 3/150 up an entry my mom was deaf and my dad deaf and dumb. cant say that anymore. Lived next door to a lovely indian family, lovely son of theirs we called little joe or joey and a family called the Snyders at the top.
My name is Roy Simpson

Hi Rog - many thanks for the maps. Had to smile when I saw the 'Lunatic Asylum', don't think in these PC days that would be allowed now!. My uncle Joe was a nurse there, he lived in Bacchus Road so did not have far to go to work. Talking of Bacchus Road I always remember using the baths there as we had no running hot water, it was a tanner for the smallest piece of soap you have ever seen and a council towel that was as stiff as a board. Me and my mate Stan Wassell (remember him) used to double up so we would save a tanner and the attendant would regulate the amount of hot water you had with an allen key that fitted the tap!. Happy days, take care, Tony
Not sure how i ended up and this thread . Must be a sharp needle out there. Bacchus Road. was there a cafe right nextdoor or is it the same road as w. green prison. I can remember leaning over a garden wall and there was a big drop. to a yard. family owned the cafe but its a bit of a blurrrr

Hi Ken yes I remember Laurain Heath - carnt remember jeff though - Stewi
Just caught on, we lived at 2/208 Park Road, Derek Wardle and Johnny Boyle lived quite close I think, Dad drove for Walker Bros in Wharf St, lots of kids, Philip & Keith Bird, Jeffery Kedney?, John Reynolds, Johnny Evans, the girl who worked at the paper shop, Jean ? married Brian who drove for the laundry, they moved to Stockland Green and then to Marsh lane, blimey , life is strange

Last edited:
Hi

I lived in Wharf Street, off Park Road circa 1954/5. Always had aggro with a transport company up there.

Also with mates I used a small pub of which my mates girlfriend lived in a back house rear of pub. Location of pub is by the corner, a barbers was just around the corner (I think)

Any photos of Wharf Street - name of pub - photo of pub -- please

Ray
Dad worked for Walker Bros transport, drove W24, we lived in Park Road

Last edited:
Hello Ken, You mention Roger Adams, do you ever remember him having a Bond 3-wheeler? Regards RobT
Hi Ken
Sadly, Ken passed away aged 22, a brilliant guitarist but suffered heart problems, John lives in Tamworth, and me in Devon,Regards, Brian

Back